Chaunka Matar ( Chuki Hui Matar) is a UP-style breakfast dish where fresh winter peas are stir-fried with a few spices. Serve it with a cup of tea for a hearty winter breakfast (can be easily made vegan and gluten-free).
About Chaunka Matar (Stir Fried Green Peas)
Chaunka Matar (Chuki Hui Matar) is a UP-style winter snack or breakfast where fresh tender green peas are sautéed with ginger, green chilies, and a few more simple ingredients.
It is healthy, filling, and gets ready in under 20 minutes. It is best served as breakfast or an evening snack with a hot cup of masala chai or coffee.
My recipes serve 2 but you can easily scale it up and make for a crowd.
Here are some more green peas recipes that you may like
Green Peas (Matar) – This dish tastes the best when made using fresh and tender winter peas. Use fresh peas that are available at local sabziwala or grocery stores during winter. In case you do not have fresh matar, then you can make it with frozen peas as well.
Ghee – This stir fry tastes the best when made in ghee.
Others – You will also need asafetida (hing), cumin seeds, fresh ginger, green chilies, sugar, salt, dry mango powder (amchoor), freshly squeezed lime juice, and cilantro (fresh coriander leaves).
Adjust the green chilies as per your taste.
To make gluten-free chuki hui matar, skip adding asafetida (hing) and to make it vegan, replace ghee with coconut oil.
How To Make Chaunka Matar
Start by shelling the peas. You will need approximately 2 pounds (1 kilogram) of pea pods to get 2 cups (10 oz, 300 g) of shelled peas.
Wash the peas with water, drain the water, and keep the peas aside.
Peel a small piece of ginger and grate it using the small hole of a grater.
Chop a green chili finely.
Gather the remaining ingredients.
Stir Fry The Peas
Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan over medium heat.
Once the ghee is hot, add ¼ teaspoon asafetida (hing) and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and let them crackle for 3-4 seconds.
Add 2 teaspoon grated ginger and 2 teaspoon finely chopped green chilies and saute for 10-15 seconds.
- 2 cups of shelled green peas
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder
and mix well.
Reduce the heat to low.
Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes until the peas are softened.
Remove the lid and stir in 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice and 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro.
Transfer the peas into serving bowls. Garnish with ginger juliennes and serve hot.
Chaunki Matar tastes the best when served fresh! Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat in a pan or microwave before serving.
You Might Also Like
Chaunka Matar Recipe (Stir Fried Green Peas)
- 1 tablespoon ghee (use coconut oil for a vegan version)
- ¼ teaspoon asafetida (hing) (skip for a gluten-free version)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped green chilies
- 2 cups shelled tender green peas (10 oz or 300 g)
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchoor)
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (fresh coriander leaves)
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium heat.
- Once the ghee is hot, add asafetida and cumin seeds and let them crackle for 3-4 seconds.
- Add ginger and green chilies and saute for 10-15 seconds.
- Now add the peas, sugar, salt, and dry mango powder, and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes until the peas are softened.
- Remove the lid and stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Transfer the peas into serving bowls. Garnish with ginger juliennes and serve hot.