Chaunka Matar ( Chuki Hui Matar) is a UP-style breakfast dish where fresh winter peas are stir-fried with a few spices. Serve it with a cup of tea for a hearty winter breakfast.
About This Recipe
Chaunka Matar (Chuki Hui Matar) is a UP-style winter snack or breakfast where fresh tender green peas are sautéed with ginger, green chilies, and a few more simple ingredients. It is healthy, filling, and gets ready in under 20 minutes. It is best served as breakfast or evening snack with a hot cup of masala chai or coffee.
My recipes serve 2 but you can easily scale it up and make for a crowd.
Green peas – This dish tastes the best when made using fresh and tender winter peas. Use fresh green peas that are available with local sabziwala or grocery stores during winters. In case you do not have fresh green peas, then you can make it with frozen peas as well.
Ghee – This stir fry tastes the best when made in ghee.
Others – You will also need asafetida (hing), cumin seeds, fresh ginger, green chilies, sugar, salt, dry mango powder (amchoor), lime juice, and cilantro (coriander).
Adjust the green chilies as per your taste.
To make it gluten-free, skip adding asafetida (hing) and to make it vegan, replace ghee with coconut oil.
How To Make Chaunka Matar
Start by shelling the peas. You will need approximately 500 grams of pea pods to get 2 cups (300 g) of shelled peas.
Wash the peas with water, drain the water and keep the peas aside.
Peel a small piece of ginger and grate it using the small hole of a grater.
Chop a green chili finely.
Gather the remaining ingredients.
Stir Fry The Peas
Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan over medium heat.
Once the ghee is hot, add ¼ teaspoon asafetida (hing) and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and let them crackle for 3-4 seconds.
Add 2 teaspoon grated ginger and 2 teaspoon finely chopped green chilies and saute for 10-15 seconds.
Now add 2 cups of shelled green peas, ¼ teaspoon sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon dry mango powder, and mix well.
Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes until the peas are softened.
Remove the lid and stir in 1 teaspoon lime juice and 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (coriander).
Transfer the peas into serving bowls. Garnish with ginger juliennes and serve hot.
Chaunka Matar tastes the best when served fresh! Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat in a pan or microwave before serving.
You Might Also Like
Chaunka Matar Recipe
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- ¼ teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped green chilies
- 2 cups shelled tender green peas
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchoor)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (coriander)
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium heat.
- Once the ghee is hot, add asafetida and cumin seeds and let them crackle for 3-4 seconds.
- Add ginger and green chilies and saute for 10-15 seconds.
- Now add green peas, sugar, salt, and dry mango powder, and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes until the peas are softened.
- Remove the lid and stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Transfer the peas into serving bowls. Garnish with ginger juliennes and serve hot.