A typical, one-pot meal, Jau Moong Dal Khichdi or Barley Khichdi is made with wholesome ingredients like pearl barley, dhuli moong dal which is finely mixed with spices. Here is how to make it.
Get down with fever or take some downtime after days at work, the first thing that you want to do is have some soul food and just unwind.
Whenever I am back from a trip at home or as and when I crave for a simple yet satiating meal, the first thing that my mind cribs for is Khichdi.
Made with the simplest ingredients and basic spices, a bowlful of Khichdi soothes your senses like no other meal on the planet.
After all who does not like eating ghee loaded, a tender meal of rice and enriching lentils, no?
Tempted to eat it yet again yesterday, I try my hands on Jau Moong Dal Khichdi which turned out yummier than what I had expected it to be!
A typical, one-pot meal, Jau Moong Dal Khichdi is made with wholesome ingredients like pearl barley, dhuli moong dal which is finely mixed with spices.
Loaded with fiber, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants, pearl barley is an interesting substitute for rice and should be eaten as often as one can!
Having used the same while making Jau Moong Dal Khichdi, let me tell you it is one of the grains that you should not give a miss at any cost.
So, quickly note down the recipe of this different khichdi, prepare it soon as serve it piping hot:
Barley Khichdi Recipe
- 1/2 cup Pearl Barley / Jau
- 1/4 cup Dhuli Moong Dal
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2-3 Cloves
- 2-3 Green Chilli (Slit into half)
- 1/2 cup Onion (Chopped)
- 1/4 cup Tomato (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Ginger (Grated)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander (Chopped)
- 2 tbsp Golden fried onion
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Once the ghee is hot, add hing and cumin seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add cinnamon and cloves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add green chilli and onion and fry until onion is slightly browned.
- Now add tomato and ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add jau and dhuli moong dal and 3 cups of water along with salt and turmeric powder.
- Pressure cook until dal and jau is cooked.
- Remove the pressure cooker from heat and let the pressure release.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and golden fried onion.
- Serve hot.