Masoor Ki Khatti Dal is a Hyderabadi style lentil recipe where pink masoor dal is cooked with tomatoes, tamarind pulp, and a few more simple ingredients. Make it using my easy recipe (gluten-free, vegan).
About Khatti Masoor Dal
Masoor Ki Khatti Dal is a Hyderabadi-style lentil preparation made using pink masoor dal, tomatoes, tamarind, and a few other simple ingredients.
It is a great recipe to make for everyday Indian-style meals.
Serve Khatti Masoor Dal with a dry sabji and phulka or rice for a hearty meal.
You can cook the dal in an instant pot or in a traditional stovetop pressure cooker. I am sharing both methods in the recipe card. Choose the one that suits you the best.
Dhuli Masoor Dal – You will need split and skinned pink lentils (pink masoor dal) to make this khatti masoor dal recipe.
Others – You will also need salt, turmeric powder, fresh tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, green chilies, red chili powder, tamarind pulp, and cilantro (fresh coriander leaves).
For Tempering – To temper the dal, you will need vegetable oil, garlic, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, dry red chilies, and curry leaves.
Khatti Masoor Dal can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Reheat in a pan or in a microwave before serving. Add some water if the dal has thickened after storage.
You Might Also Like
Hyderabadi Masoor Ki Khatti Dal Recipe
To Cook The Lentils
- 1 cup dhuli masoor dal (pink masoor dal)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspon turmeric powder
- 1 cup pureed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- 2-3 green chilies (slit into half)
- 1 teaspoon tamarind pulp
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5-6 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2-3 dry red chilies
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (fresh coriander leaves)
Cook The Lentils
- Rinse masoor dal with water and add it to a 6-quart instant pot along with 3 cups of water, salt, turmeric powder, pureed tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, and green chilies.
- Stir gently.
- Secure the lid of the instant pot and set the valve to the sealing position.
- Press PRESSURE COOK and set the timer to 10 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes at high pressure.
- Release the remaining pressure manually and open the lid of the pot.
- Whisk the dal well using a ladle.
- Add tamarind pulp and mix well.
- Check for salt and tamarind and add more if needed.
- Note – To cook the dal in a traditional pressure cooker (3-liter cooker), pressure cook for 1 whistle on high heat. Then reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
Temper The Dal
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add garlic and fry till it is slightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, dry red chilies, and curry leaves, and let them crackle for 4-5 seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the dal and mix well.
- Tip – Save some tempering for garnishing.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.