Cabbage Peas Shaak (Kobi Vatana Nu Shaak) is a Gujarati style sabji made using cabbage, green peas a few mild spices. Serve it for your everyday meals with dal, rice, and roti.
About This Recipe
Cabbage Peas Shaak (Kobi Vatana Nu Shaak) is a traditional Gujarati-style dry sabji made with fresh cabbage, green peas, and a few mild spices.
It is a light and healthy stir fry to make for everyday meals and pairs great with dal roti or dal rice.
Cabbage vatana nu shaak is mildly spiced and has a crunchy texture. You can also add some cubed potatoes to this stir fry and make kobi batata nu shaak.
This pattagobhi matar nu shaak is vegan and can be easily made gluten-free.
Cabbage – This is the hero ingredient of this recipe. Try to use organic cabbage for the best taste and health benefits.
Green Peas – You can use fresh or frozen peas.
Oil – I make this curry in vegetable oil but canola oil, peanut oil or light olive oil also works great.
Spices – You will need mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida (hing), coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, and Kashmiri red chili powder.
Others – You will also need green chilies and salt.
Serve cabbage shaak for everyday meals with dal and roti.
You can also serve it on the side with Gujarati kadhi or Dal Dhokli.
You can use it as a filling for sandwiches, wraps, burritos, tacos, and quesadillas.
Pattagobhi Vatana nu Shaak can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for upto 4 days.
You can also freeze it for upto 3 months. Just thaw and reheat before serving.
You Might Also Like
Cabbage Peas Shaak Recipe (Kobi Vatana Nu Shaak)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon asafetida (hing) (skip to make this sabji gluten-free)
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- Heat oil in a wide heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and asafetida and let them crackle for 4-5 seconds.
- Add cabbage, peas, green chilies, salt, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, and Kashmiri red chili powder to the pan and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 8-10 minutes until the cabbage is almost cooked, stirring a few times in between.
- Do not overcook. The cabbage must still have some crunch.
- Serve hot.