Learn how to make Crepes With Pancake Mix using my simple recipe. No special appliance, no mess, no effort – these fail-proof crepes are a breeze to make.
About Pancake Mix Crepes
Have you ever thought of making crepes with pancake mix? This brilliant idea came to my mind a few days back when I had some unannounced guests at home for breakfast.
I had a packet of pancake mix lying in my pantry, but instead of making pancakes using it, I decided to give it a makeover and made pancake mix crepes instead.
5 simple ingredients and 20 minutes of active working time are all you need to make a big batch of tender crepe that tastes as good as the ones you get in your favorite cafes and restaurants.
These pancake mix crepes are ideal for breakfast or brunch topped with your favorite toppings, but as they say, there is no good time to enjoy such deliciousness.
You can even enjoy these for lunch, dinner, or even dessert.
Add your choice of sweet and savory fillings and serve it how you like.
Here are some more of my favorite breakfast recipes
- Classic Old Fashioned Pancakes
- Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
- Cherry Smoothie
- Instant Pot Poached Eggs
- Oreo Pancakes
- Pineapple Juice
- Brown Sugar Overnight Oats
- Greek Omelette
- Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
- Egg White Muffins
Pancake Mix – Get your hands on a box from the store or make it home. If buying from the store, I usually go for Aunt Jemima pancake mix or Krusteaz.
Use an unflavored pancake mix for the traditional crepes, but if you want to experiment, you can also use the flavored ones.
You can try making these delicious crepes using waffle mix, too.
Others – Other ingredients required for these pancake batter crepes are milk, large eggs, vanilla extract, and unsalted butter.
If you do not prefer dairy, replace dairy milk with vegan options like almond milk, coconut milk, oats milk, etc.
Eggs are a must, as they help retain the crepes’ shape.
How To Make Crepes With Pancake Mix
Make The Batter
- 1 cup pancake mix
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Whisk to make a smooth mixture.
Add the remaining 1 cup milk and ¼ melted and cooled unsalted butter and whisk to make a smooth lump-free batter.
Cover the bowl and let the batter rest for 30 minutes to release the gluten.
Tip – If the batter still has lumps, pass it through a fine-mesh strainer.
Tip – You can add all the ingredients to a blender or a food processor and blend until smooth.
Note – To check if the crepe batter is of the right consistency, take a ladle and dip it in the crepe batter.
Touch the back of the ladle with your finger. If the mark remains, it means the batter is of the right consistency, and if the gap closes soon, it is too runny.
If it is too runny, add some more pancake mix and whisk well.
And if it is too thick, then add some milk to it.
Make The Crepes
Place a 10-inch non-stick skillet, a crepe pan, or a frying pan on the stovetop.
Heat the pan over medium-high heat until the pan is HOT.
Brush the pan with butter or nonstick spray and immediately pour ¼ cup of batter into the center of the pan.
Quickly pick the pan up, tilt, and twirl it until the batter covers the bottom.
Return the pan to the stovetop and cook until the edges peel away from the pan.
When you notice that the batter is completely set and you can’t see liquid anymore on the pan, it is ready to flip.
It takes approximately 30-40 seconds for the crepes to cook perfectly.
Carefully flip the crepes into half using a spatula or your fingers and then again to make a triangle.
Remove it on the serving plate and serve it with your choice of topping.
Repeat with the remaining batter.
Pro Tips By Neha
The consistency of the batter is very important. It should be thin and lump-free.
Once the crepe batter is ready, let it rest for 30 minutes to relax the gluten. It will give you comparatively more tender crepes.
You can also make the batter the night before and let it rest in the refrigerator. But make sure to bring it to room temperature before making the crepes for the best result.
Use a scratch-free, non-stick pan to make the crepes. It will make the flipping easier.
Spray the pan with a non-stick spray or brush it with butter every time you pour the batter for crepes.
Use a thin spatula or your fingers to flip the crepes.
Place the stack of crepes in a preheated oven (170°F) to keep them warm until they are ready to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you do not want to buy a store-bought pancake mix, then you can make your own dry pancake mix at home using this recipe. You will need,
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Just mix all the ingredients and store the mix in an air-tight container for 1-2 months. Use as desired.
Replace all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour for a healthier option.
These crepes made with pancake mix are very versatile and can be served any time of the day.
Fill them with a savory filling to make savory crepes and a sweet filling to make dessert crepes.
For Breakfast – When I serve them for breakfast, it is with a simple drizzle of maple syrup, honey, chocolate sauce, or a generous spread of Nutella, fruit competes, jam, or nut butter such as peanut butter, pistachio butter, almond butter, etc.
I also like to top them with seasonal fresh fruits to make them nutritious and filling.
Sweet crepes topped with cream cheese and fresh strawberries are my favorite way to enjoy these lacy pancakes.
You can fill them with creamy scrambled eggs, ham & cheese, or bacon for a savory breakfast!
For Brunch, lunch, or dinner – If serving crepes for a full meal, I like to fill them with something more wholesome, preferably a savory filling such as creamy spinach, creamy potatoes, scrambled tofu, herbed mushrooms, ricotta cheese, scrambled cottage cheese, etc.
For dessert – My favorite way of serving homemade crepes is for dessert topped with a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream.
Throw in some seasonal fruits such as bananas, peaches, kiwis, apples, berries, mangoes, peaches, etc.
You can also sprinkle some chocolate chips or chocolate curls on top.
Crepes taste the best fresh, right out of the pan!
You can make the batter the night before and store it in an air-tight container. This way, you will have your breakfast ready in minutes the next morning!
But if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Microwave until warm before serving.
You can also freeze the cooked crepes in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Thaw and microwave until warm before serving.
You Might Also Like
Easy Pancake Mix Crepes Recipe
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1 and ½ cups milk (whole, skim or low-fat, divided)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- Add pancake mix, ½ cup milk, egg, and vanilla extract to a medium-sized bowl.
- Whisk to make a smooth mixture.
- Add the remaining 1 cup milk and butter and whisk to make a smooth lump-free batter.
- Note – To check if the batter is of the right consistency, take a ladle and dip it in the crepe batter. Touch the back of the ladle with your finger. If the mark remains, it means it is of the right consistency and if the gap closes soon, it means that the batter is too runny. If it is too runny, add some more pancake mix to it and whisk well. If it is too thick, then add some milk to it.
- Cover the bowl and let the batter rest for 30 minutes to release the gluten.
- Tip – If the batter still has lumps, then pass it through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Tip – You can also add all the ingredients to a blender or a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place a 10-inch non-stick skillet or a frying pan on the stovetop.
- Heat the pan over medium-high heat until the pan is HOT.
- Brush the pan with butter and immediately pour ¼ cup of batter into the center of the pan.
- Quickly pick the pan up and tilt and twirl it until the batter covers the bottom of the pan.
- Return the pan to the stovetop and cook until the edges start to peel away from the pan.
- When you notice that the batter is completely set and you can’t see liquid anymore on the pan, it is ready to flip. It takes approximately 30-40 seconds for the crepes to cook perfectly.
- Carefully flip the crepes into half using a spatula or your fingers and then again to make a triangle.
- Remove it on the serving plate and serve it with your choice of topping.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.