Baingan Methi is a delicious everyday Indian sabji made using eggplant and fenugreek leaves. It’s easy to make and tastes delicious. Here is how to make it.
There is always a dilemma about what to make in the wee hours of morning to pack in the lunch box.
Something that is delicious, healthy and easy at the same time!
Though we have many everyday vegetables that can be prepared into delicious sabzi, it gets boring to eat them again and again on an everyday basis.
Therefore I try and make combinations of these vegetables sometimes so that there is a twist in the regular sabzi.
Recently, I tried this Baingan Methi Sabzi which is a delicious combination of Baingan and Methi cooked in everyday spices.
It is so easy to make and gets ready in no time, making it apt to pack in Lunch Box with Phulkas or Tawa Parathas.
And to my surprise, my son who makes faces looking at methi ate this sabzi without any complaints.
So, if you want to give a twist to your regular Baingan Ki Sabzi, do give this recipe a try.
What is Baingan Methi Ki Sabzi?
Baingan Methi is a North Indian style sabzi that can be made for your everyday meals.
Baingan or eggplant and methi or fenugreek leaves are chopped and then cooked along with garlic, ginger, onions, tomatoes and everyday spices such as coriander powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
I recommend you cook this sabzi in mustard oil, as it brings out the flavour in this dish.
I also add carom and fennel seeds in this everyday sabzi as it gives it a little achari taste making it different from other everyday sabzis.
Step By Step Recipe
Heat oil in a pan.
Shallow fry the baingan slices until browned from both the sides.
Remove and keep aside.
Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, fennel seeds and carom seeds in the same oil and let them crackle for a few seconds.
Add garlic and ginger and fry for a few seconds.
Add onion and fry until they turn slightly brown in colour.
Now add tomato and green chilli and fry for 2-3 minutes.
Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt to taste and cook for a minute.
Add methi leaves and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Now add the fried baingan slices and mix well.
Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve hot.
Baingan Methi Recipe
- 300 g Baingan (Cut into slices)
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Carom Seeds
- 2 tsp Garlic (Chopped)
- 2 tsp Ginger (Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Onion (Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Tomato (Chopped)
- 2 tsp Green Chilli (Chopped)
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt (To taste)
- 2 cups Methi (Chopped)
- Heat mustard oil in a pan.
- Shallow fry the baingan slices until browned from both the sides.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, fennel seeds and carmon seeds in the same oil and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add garlic and ginger and fry for a few seconds.
- Add onion and fry until they turn slightly brown in colour.
- Add tomato and green chilli and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt to taste and cook for a minute.
- Add methi leaves and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the fried baingan slices and mix well.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve hot.