Bengali Style Veg Pulao is a flavorful combination of Gobindobhog rice, vegetables, dried nuts & fruits, and spices. Serve it on its own or with a Bengali curry. Here is how to make it (gluten-free, vegetarian).
About This Recipe
Bengali Style Veg Pulao is an aromatic and flavorful rice dish made using Gobindobhog rice, loads of veggies, dries nuts, dried fruits, and spices.
The use of Gobindobhog rice lends it a slightly sweet taste and fragrance, which makes it unique from other veg pulao recipes.
It is prepared in almost every Bengali household for their festivals meals or other special occasions. Serve it with fish fry, kosha mutton, or fish kaliya for an unforgettable experience.
Rice – This traditional Bengali recipe uses Gobindobhog rice (fragrant short grain rice), which makes it unique from other similar rice recipes.
If this rice is not available, then you can use other short-grain rice varieties, but for the traditional taste, I would recommend making it with Gobidobhog rice only.
Veggies – I like to keep it traditional and use veggies like cauliflower, carrots, green beans, potatoes, and green peas. You can add more veggies such as bell peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, etc.
Dried Nuts & Fruits – The addition of dried nuts and fruits such as cashews and raisins make it extra rich.
Whole Spices – You will need green cardamoms, black cardamoms, cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
Ghee – Make this pulao in ghee, to add to its rich taste. You can use vegetable oil to make it vegan.
Others – Apart from the above-mentioned ingredients, you will also need cumin seeds, green chilies, lime juice, salt, sugar, and cilantro (coriander leaves).
Adjust the green chilies as per your taste.
In Bengali homes, Bengali-style veg pulao is often served with fish fry, kosha mangsho, or fish kaliya.
This pulao is a versatile recipe and tastes great with dal, chole, paneer, or any curry that you like.
Bengali fried rice will easily last for 3-4 days when stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in a pan or microwave until nice and hot, before serving.
You Might Also Like
Bengali Style Veg Pulao Recipe
- 1 cup Gobindobhog rice
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2-3 green chilies (slit into half)
- 5-6 cashew nuts (halved)
- 10-12 raisins
- 2 whole green cardamoms
- 1 whole black cardamom
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- ¼ cup cubed carrots
- ¼ cup frozen green peas
- ½ cup cauliflower florets
- ¼ cup peeled and cubed potatoes
- ¼ cup green beans (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (coriander leaves)
- Rinse the rice with water 2-3 times until the water runs clear and soak it in 3-4 cups of water for 15 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds and green chilies and let them crackle for 3-4 seconds.
- Add cashew nuts and raisins and fry until slightly browned.
- Add green cardamoms, black cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and fry for 3-4 seconds.
- Now add carrots, peas, cauliflower, potatoes, and green beans and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Drain the water from the rice and add the soaked rice to the pan along with lime juice, salt, sugar and 2 cups of water.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook until all the water is absorbed by the rice and the rice is tender (20-25 minutes).
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the rice rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice gently using a fork and serve hot.