This Starbucks copycat Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino recipe is a keeper, guys. It’s slushy, creamy, rich, decadent, and comes together in just 10 minutes. Here is a super easy recipe to make it from scratch (Gluten-Free, Can be made Vegan).
About This Recipe
I am a huge fan of Starbucks drinks but the only thing that pulls me back is the cost. It’s fine to grab a drink once in a while but I cringe at spending on their beverages on a regular basis.
So I learned to make a few of their drinks at home and make them almost every day. I have now mastered the recipes to make their Iced Vanilla Latte, Caramel Latte, Pumpkin Spice Latte, and this Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino.
This Starbucks copycat double chocolate chip frappe recipe is super easy to make and you will never buy it again once you make it at home. It is slushy, creamy, rich, and loaded with decadent chocolate flavors. It comes together in just 5-minutes using simple ingredients.
This chocolate frappuccino is gluten-free and can be easily made vegan.
Does The Double Chocolate Frappuccino Have Coffee In It
Now sharing a fun fact with you – Starbucks doesn’t add coffee in their double chocolate chip frappuccino. But if you are a coffee lover, worry not. You can always add a shot of espresso to this recipe and get your coffee cravings fixed.
In the hindsight, no added coffee makes it a great drink for kids and you too can have a second cup without your blood pressure shooting up.
Milk – I use whole milk as it makes my drink rich and creamy but you can use skim or low-fat milk too. Plant-based milk like almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, etc will also work fine.
Chocolate Syrup – Add chocolate syrup for the yummy chocolaty flavor. I used Hershey’s.
Mini Chocolate Chips – Mini chocolate chips are easier to blend than the regular ones. Use the best quality dark chocolate chips for a rich chocolaty flavor.
Ice Cubes – Blending ice cubes with the other ingredients make this beverage slushy, just how it’s served at Starbucks.
Sugar – Adjust the sugar as per your taste. You can also replace sugar with maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar. Sugar-free substitutes like stevia or monk fruit also work fine.
Vanilla Extract – It gives a lovely aroma to the drink.
Ground Cinnamon – Cinnamon and chocolate are a great combination. Just add a hint of cinnamon to accentuate the chocolate flavor.
Note – Store-bought beverages sometimes have Xanthum Gum added to them, Starbucks adds it too. It thickens and stabilizes the drinks and does not let the ingredients separate from each other. When making this drink at home, you can choose to add it or not. If adding, then use ¼ teaspoon in the recipe given below. This ingredient is not all harmful, in fact, it has few health benefits too. You can read more about it here.
Whipped Cream – No Starbucks chocolate frappe is complete without a topping of whipped cream. However, feel free to skip it if you are not a whipped cream fan.
How To Make Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino
Add 1 cup milk, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, ¼ cup mini dark chocolate chips, 2 tablespoon chocolate syrup, 1 and ½ cups ice, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 pinch of ground cinnamon to a high-speed blender.
Tip – If your blender is not very powerful, use crushed ice in place of ice cubes.
Note – Add 2 shots of espresso or ½ cup of strongly brewed coffee if you want to make it with coffee.
Blend until smooth.
Pour the drink into 2 serving glasses.
Top with whipped cream. Garnish with chocolate syrup and choco chips and serve immediately.
Pro Tips By Neha
Add a splash of bourbon or dark rum for an adult version.
Add a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream or a tablespoon of instant vanilla pudding to make a creamier drink.
Replace chocolate syrup with caramel or butterscotch syrup.
If you want your frappuccino to stay colder for a longer time, then freeze the serving glasses for 30 minutes before pouring the drink into them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Frappe (Fra-pay) is a popular drink in Greek culture. It literally means shaken or blended. It is mostly made using instant coffee, water, sugar, and ice. Frappuccino on the other hand is a trademark product of Starbucks and it is a portmanteau of the words “frappe” and “cappuccino.”
You Might Also Like
Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino Recipe
- 1 cup milk (I used whole milk but skim, low-fat, or plant-based also works well)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (adjust according to your taste. You can also replace it with maple syrup, agave nectar, honey, or sugar-free substitutes like stevia or monk fruit)
- ¼ cup mini dark chocolate chips (save some for garnishing)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup (I used Hershey's)
- 1 and ½ cups ice cubes (crush them if your blender is not powerful)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 shots espresso (or ½ cup strongly brewed coffee, optional, not added at Starbucks)
- whipped cream (for topping, optional)
- Add 1 cup milk, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, ¼ cup mini dark chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup, 1 and ½ cups ice, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 pinch of ground cinnamon to a high-speed blender.
- If your blender is not very powerful, use crushed ice in place of ice cubes.
- Blend until smooth.
- Note – Starbucks doesn't add coffee in their double chocolate chip frappuccino. But if you are a coffee lover, add 2 shots of espresso or ½ cup of strongly brewed coffee while blending.
- Pour the drink into 2 serving glasses.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Garnish with chocolate syrup and choco chips and serve immediately.