Egg Idli is a delicious snack or breakfast dish where eggs are steamed in an idli mold and then tossed in a spicy masala.
About This Recipe
Egg Idli are a delicious and unique way to serve eggs for breakfast or snacks. They are easy to make and come together in less than 30 minutes using simple ingredients.
To make egg idlies, eggs are steamed in idli molds with salt and pepper and later tempered with curry leaves, dry red chilies, and a few more simple ingredients.
Eggs – Any eggs would do, white, brown, or organic.
To temper the steamed egg idli, you will need vegetable oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves, dry red chilies, red chili powder, and turmeric powder.
You can skip adding chili powder and dry red chili if making it for kids
You will also need salt and pepper. Cilantro for garnishing is highly recommended too.
These Idli eggs with a South Indian tadka taste great on their own with a side of morning tea, coffee, or fresh juice for breakfast.
You can also serve a crisp toast on the side to make it filling.
You can also place it in between two slices of bread and enjoy it as a sandwich.
This egg recipe tastes great when served fresh, right out of the idli molds. Leftovers can be stored for a few hours in an airtight container at room temperature.
You Might Also Like
Egg Idli Recipe
- 6 large eggs
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 whole dry red chili (broken)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (coriander) (for garnishing)
- Heat 2 cups of water in an idli steamer over medium-high heat.
- Grease the idli molds with vegetable oil.
- Break one egg in each mold and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover the lid of the steamer and steam until the eggs are set (8-10 minutes).
- Remove the steamer from heat and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Unmold the egg idlies from the mold and set them aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, dry red chili, red chili powder, and turmeric powder and fry for 3-4 seconds.
- Add the egg idlies to the pan and toss well with the spices.
- Garnish with cilantro (coriander) and serve hot.