As the summers are on the peak, try this Kerala’s popular fizzy drink fuljar soda, which will surely freshen you up instantly. It is spicy, tangy, and full of flavor. Here is how to make it at home.
I love making refreshing soda-based drinks at home, and these are some of my other favorites that you must try too – Masala Soda, Jeera Soda, Mango Basil Soda, and Mango Lemon Soda.
About This Recipe
Fuljar soda is a Kerala-style soda that is getting popular day by day due to its unique method of preparation. It erupts like a volcano when the shot glass filled with mint leaves and green chili mixture is dropped into the glass filled with club soda.
Here, Fuljar means full jar as it overflows the big glass used for drinking this soda. Spicy, sweet, and tangy, it is so refreshing that just one sip will give you instant relief from the scorching heat outside. It is also popularly prepared during the month of Ramzan.
While preparing it ensure that you make it in an open place, as it fizzes a lot and some of it even drips down. So, if you don’t want to spoil your expensive furniture or linen, try this fuljar soda in an open space.
It can be prepared in different fruity flavors too, which is getting popular among the restaurants in Kerala. You can sip it on a hot summery day or serve it to your guests.
This homemade Fuljar Soda is,
- Sweet + Tangy + Spicy
- Perfect for a hot summer day
To prepare Fuljar Soda, you will need a few everyday ingredients – green chilies, ginger, mint leaves, lime juice, sugar, salt, sabja seeds(Tukamaria seeds or basil seeds), and club soda.
Adjust the amount of sugar and green chillies, as per your taste and preference.
Also use only freshly squeezed lime juice for the best taste.
Sabja seeds have cooling properties, so it is great to include it in your summer beverages.
You can use kiwi, mango, strawberries or other berries to flavor it.
How to make Fuljar Soda?
Add 2 teaspoon chopped green chili, 1 teaspoon chopped ginger, 15-20 mint leaves, 2 tablespoon lime juice, 3 tablespoon sugar, ⅛ teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoon water in the small jar of a blender.
Blend to make a smooth puree.
Transfer the puree in between 4 shot glasses.
Add 1 tablespoon soaked sabja seeds in each glass and stir well using a small spoon.
Now fill a glass with club soda until it is ¾th full.
Gently drop the shot glass in the glass with the soda.
The drink will start to fizz like a volcano, so drink it immediately.
Make it fresh! As it has soda, do not store it otherwise the drink will not have the required fizz. You can make the mint, chili and sugar mixture and refrigerate it for upto 2 days.
You might also like
Fuljar Soda Recipe
- 2 teaspoons chopped green chilies (choose the less spicy variety)
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 15-20 mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sabja seeds (soaked in ¼ cup water)
- chilled club soda (as required)
- Add 2 teaspoon chopped green chili, 1 teaspoon chopped ginger, 15-20 mint leaves, 2 tablespoon lime juice, 3 tablespoon sugar, ⅛ teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoon water in the small jar of a blender.
- Blend to make a smooth puree.
- Transfer the puree in between 4 shot glasses.
- Add 1 tablespoon soaked sabja seeds in each glass and stir well using a small spoon.
- Now fill a glass with club soda until it is ¾th full.
- Gently drop the shot glass in the glass with the soda.
- The drink will start to fizz like a volcano, so drink it immediately.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!