Khamiri Roti is a Mughlai recipe. Khamir means yeast and hence, the bread has got the name. The yeast is added to the flour which makes the bread soft and spongy. It is traditionally cooked in a clay tandoor but we can make it at home in an oven and it goes very well with Indian curries. My nani used to make very fluffy and pleasantly smoky Khamiri Roti. She taught my mom the best recipe to prepare these. And then the legacy just continued. My mom served us piping hot Khamiri Roti at least once a month along with Navratan Dal and a special vegetable dish such Dum Aloo or Moonghphali Bhindi. Oh, those lunches were just so royal and homely! That taste of these Roti prepared by my mom still has not left my palate. With the intention to recreate the similar experience for my kiddo, I prepared Khamiri Roti using my nani’s signature recipe.
I didn’t have a tandoor at my place but oven came in handy. After roasting Khamiri Roti in the oven, I even cooked it for sometime on the direct flame to give a nice, smoky flavour. And then finally, I spread some ghee on the top of piping hot Khamiri Roti, it was nothing but bliss! My kiddo loved it so much that he asked me to prepare it every week! You could also read the recipe for Khamiri Roti as follows and cook them for a royal meal on weekend
- Whole wheat flour - 2 cups
- Active dry yeast - 1 tsp
- Milk - ½ cup ( warm )
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Water to knead
- Ghee- optional
- Mix warm milk, sugar and yeast in a bowl.
- Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Mix whole wheat flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add the milk with the yeast.
- Mix well.
- Add little water and knead to make a soft dough.
- Cover and keep the dough for 30 minutes.
- Pre heat an oven to 250 degrees C.
- Set the oven on Toast mode.
- Divide the dough into 10-12 equal parts.
- Dust and roll the dough in a 5-6 inch disc.
- Arrange the disc on a baking sheet.
- Bake your roti for 3-4 minutes on the upper rack.
- Remove from oven and cook on direct flame from both the sides till brown spots form.
- Smear with ghee ( optional )
- Serve hot with any curry.