A popular Indo Chinese recipe prepared with leftover rice, scrambled eggs, assorted veggies and spicy schezwan sauce. This 15 minutes recipe is perfect for weekday meals. Try it!
About This Recipe
Schezwan Egg Fried Rice is the spicy version of your regular fried rice. It is quite popular in Indo Chinese restaurants and comes together in just 15 minutes.
It is a delicious combination of cooked rice, veggies, scrambled eggs and schezwan sauce. Make my schezwan sauce for the best taste, as it is
- Freshly made
- Made with high quality ingredients
- Free of artificial colours
- Free of preservatives
Serve it on its own for a light weekday meals or with a spicy Indo Chinese gravy or stir fry for your weekend brunch. It can be packed in kid’s lunch box as well.
It is also customisable! Feel free to add in veggies of your choice or adjust the sauces to make it according to your taste.
Rice – Leftover (1-2 days old) white rice gives you the best results when added in the fried rice. Incase you are making fresh rice, let it cook down fully or refrigerate it for a few hours before mixing in with other ingredients.
Any variety of white rice works for this fried rice recipe. You can also try it with some healthy alternatives such as brown rice, quinoa, broken whole wheat, etc.
Vegetables – I like to loaded my fried rice recipes with capsicum, beans, cabbage, and carrots as it adds a beautiful crunch. You can even add red/yellow bell pepper, spring onions, mushroom, zucchini, broccoli, etc.
Egg – Scrambled eggs adds an extra taste and flavour along with veggies. You can also add chicken or prawns if you want to add extra protein.
Schezwan Sauce – The star ingredient, which makes this recipe different from the regular fried rice recipes.
I have used homemade schezwan sauce, but if you can’t make it at home, you can use the store-bought ones.
I will prefer the homemade one, as it is freshly made and free of artificial colour and preservatives.
Other Ingredients – Other than the above, I have used soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, chilli oil, ginger, garlic, and black pepper powder.
Make chilli oil at home or use a store bought one, the choice is yours. You can try making it at home, as it comes together in just 5 minutes.
Schezwan Egg Fried Rice tastes delicious on its own, so serve it for a light weekday meal.
It can also be served with Vegetable Hot and Sour Soup along with chicken momos for a complete meal.
If you have any leftover noodles, rice or vegetables, you can use it in Chinese Bhel recipe.
Schezwan Egg Fried Rice can be refrigerated for 3-4 days in an air tight container. Reheat it in a pan or microwave until nicely heated.
You might also like:
Step by Step Recipe
Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a wok.
When oil becomes hot, add ginger and garlic. Saute for just few seconds.
Add capsicum, beans, cabbage and carrots. Saute all veggies for 2-3 mins. Don’t overcook them.
Push the veggies on the side of the pan and add the remaining oil.
Add eggs and scramble them.
Now mix everything together.
Add schezwan sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, chilli oil and black pepper and cook for a minute.
Add green chillies and onions.
Now add rice and toss everything nicely to coat the rice with all the sauces.
Check for salt, spiciness and sourness. Adjust the sauces as per your taste. Garnish with spring onion greens. Serve hot.
Here is how to make Schezwan Sauce at home.
Schezwan Egg Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 and ½ tablespoon Sesame Oil
- ½ teaspoon Ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 2 teaspoon Garlic (Finely Chopped)
- 3 teaspoon Celery (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Green Chilli
- ½ cup Onion (Chopped)
- ¼ cup Capsicum (Finely Chopped)
- ¼ cup Beans (Finely Chopped)
- 4 tablespoon Cabbage (Finely Chopped)
- ¼ cup carrot (Finely Chopped)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 and ½ teaspoon Black pepper Powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups Cooked Rice
- 4 tablespoon Schezwan Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 3 teaspoon Chilli Oil
- 4 tablespoon Spring Onion Greens (Chopped)
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a wok.
- When oil becomes hot, add ginger and garlic. Saute for just few seconds.
- Add capsicum, beans, cabbage and carrots. Saute all veggies for 2-3 mins. Don't overcook them.
- Push the veggies on the side of the pan and add the remaining oil.
- Add eggs and scramble them.
- Now mix every thing together.
- Add schezwan sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, chilli oil and black pepper and cook for a minute.
- Add green chillies and onions.
- Now add rice and toss everything nicely to coat the rice with all the sauces.
- Check for salt, spiciness and sourness. Adjust the sauces as per your taste. Garnish with spring onion greens. Serve hot.