Urdachi Dal (Maharashtrian Style Urad Dal) is a Maharashtrian lentil preparation prepared with black urad dal (vegetarian).
Here are more easy dal recipes that you may like – Dal Maharani, Bengali Tok Dal, Green Mango Dal, Malwa Dal, Dal Makhani, Shahi Dal, and Lauki Chana Dal.
About Urdachi Dal
Urdachi Dal (Maharashtrian Style Urad Dal) is a light and delicious Maharashtrian style lentil preparation prepared with black urad dal, green chilies, onions, and fresh ginger.
The cooked dal is tempered with spicy onion, tomato, and green chili tadka.
It is a great recipe to make for everyday Indian-style meals.
Serve it with dry sabzi and phulka or steamed rice and papad for a comforting meal.
For The Dal
To make the dal, you will need black urad dal (split black lentils), green chilies, fresh ginger, onions, turmeric powder, salt, ghee, and water.
You can also replace black urad dal with white urad dal.
Adjust the green chilies depending on your taste.
For The Tempering
To temper the dal, you will need vegetable oil, ghee, cumin seeds, asafetida (hing), curry leaves, onions, green chilies, tomatoes, Kashmiri red chili powder, and coriander powder.
Replace ghee with oil to make this dal vegan.
Skip adding asafetida to make it gluten-free.
Serve Urdachi dal with a dry sabzi and phulka for a hearty comforting meal.
You can also serve it with simple steamed rice, jeera rice, and green chilli thecha with a side of roasted or fried papad.
Urdachi Dal can be stored in an air-tight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Reheat in a pan or microwave until hot.
Add in a little hot water to adjust the consistency while reheating, if it becomes thick after refrigeration.
You Might Also Like
Urdachi Dal Recipe (Maharashtrian Style Urad Dal)
To Cook The Dal
- 1 cup black urad dal (split black lentils)
- 2 teaspoons chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- ¼ cup sliced onions
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or any other cooking oil)
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 10-12 whole curry leaves
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons crushed green chilies, ginger & carlic
- ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
Cook The Dal
- Add all the ingredients to a pressure cooker and stir gently.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle on high heat.
- Then reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cooker from heat and let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid and lid and mash the dal slightly with the back of a ladle.
Temper The Dal
- Heat oil and ghee in a small pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and asafetida and let them crackle for 4-5 seconds.
- Add curry leaves, onions, and crushed green chili, ginger, and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chili powder and coriander powder and saute for 3-4 seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the cooked dal and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!