Lauki Chana Dal is a delicious Indian style lentil preparation that is healthy and delicious. Moreover, it can be paired with roti or rice. Here is how to make chana dal with lauki for a soothing, homely meal.
Indian recipes, especially dal recipes and sabzis are just so balanced and a lot of these homestyle recipes can be cooked under 30 minutes.
These home-style dishes are wholesome as well. As a result, our families never take a hit on the nutrition front.
Also, today’s recipe of Lauki Chana Dal or dudhi chana dal is also a hit on that list of keepers.
Out of most of the Indian sabzis, this dal happens to be a rejuvenating curry.
Firstly, it has the earthy flavors of Bengal gram.
While, at the same time, you also reap the benefits of lauki (bottle gourd).
Along with these two main ingredients, we also add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, other spices, and chopped onions, garlic, ginger to make it more appetizing.
In order to make this curry smooth, ensure that you soak Bengal gram for a good time. Moreover, cook it well in a pressure cooker.
If you do not have bottle gourd at home then you may also use zucchini.
You can sizzle it up more by adding more green chillies to suit your palate. So, make it soon using my recipe.
You can make a dry sabzi style Chana Dal with Lauki too. Just add less water as mentioned in the recipe to make dry preparation.
You can also make this dal recipe without using onion and garlic.
Just skip these two ingredients and make the recipe in the same manner.
Serve this chana dal with rice, roti or paratha.
You can make this dal with many different vegetables like Tinda, Palak (Spinach) or Methi (Fenugreek) etc. So for some variations make Tinda Chana Dal or Palak Chana Dal and I’m sure you would love that as well.
You might also like
Step By Step Recipe
Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
Once the ghee is hot, add onion and fry for 3-4 minutes.
Add ginger, garlic, green chilli and tomato and fry for another 2 – 3 minutes.
Now, add lauki and fry for a minute.
Finally, add soaked chana dal, turmeric powder, and salt to taste along with 4 cups of water and close the lid. Pressure cook until done.
For Tempering, heat ghee in a pan. Once the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds and hing and let them crackle for a few seconds. Remove the pan from heat. Add red chilli powder and pour the tempering over the cooked dal.
Lauki Chana Dal Recipe
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- ½ cup Onion (Chopped)
- 2 tsp Garlic (Chopped)
- 2 tsp Ginger (Chopped)
- 2 tsp Green Chilli (Chopped)
- ¼ cup Tomato (Chopped)
- 300 g Lauki (Peeled and cut into pieces)
- 1 cup Chana Dal (Soaked in water for 30 minutes)
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Hing
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Once the ghee is hot, add onion and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, green chilli and tomato and fry for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Now, add lauki and fry for a minute.
- Finally, add soaked chana dal, turmeric powder and salt to taste along with 4 cups of water and close the lid.
- Pressure cook until done. I cooked for one whistle on high heat and 1 on low heat.
- Remove the pressure cooker from heat and let the pressure release.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds and hing and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Add red chilli powder and pour the tempering over the cooked dal.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.