Achari chole is a delicious Chickpea curry made using Indian pickling spices. Here is a simple and easy to make recipe to make it.
About this recipe
The chickpeas in this recipe are cooked along with pickling spices. With Achari masala ready at hand, it hardly takes any extra effort to make this dish.
The key to make a good Achari curry is to make the masala at home using the best of ingredients which gives a bold flavor to the curry. Check out my homemade Achari Masala recipe and use it in this curry.
This curry goes very well with any Indian bread or steamed rice.
You might also like
Step by Step Recipe
Heat mustard oil in a pan.
When the oil is hot, add onions and fry till onions are pinkish.
Add ginger garlic paste and fry till onions are golden brown in color.
Add tomatoes and cook for a minute.
Add the achari masala, roasted cumin powder, dry mango powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder and salt.
Fry the masala for about 2 minutes, till oil starts to come on the sides of the pan. Add little water if required. Add the cooked chickpeas along with the water in the masala.
Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes on low heat.
Add masala from ready pickle and cook for another minute. Garnish with fresh coriander. Serve hot with Parathas or naan.
Achari Chole Recipe
For Achari Masala
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds/ Sarson
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds/ Dhania
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Zeera
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- ½ tsp Fenugreek seeds / Methi
- ½ tsp Nigella seeds / Kalonji
- ½ tsp Carom seeds / Ajwain
- 2-3 Whole red chilies
For the curry
- 1 cup Chickpea / Chole
- 4 tbsp Mustard oil
- 2 cups Onion (Chopped)
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 cup Tomato (Chopped)
- ½ tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 2 tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Masala from Pickle
- 1 tbsp Fresh Coriander
- Wash the chickpeas and soak them in enough water for 6-8 hours.
- Drain the water.
- Add the chickpeas in a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water and 2 tsp salt.
- Pressure cook till chickpeas are soft.
- Remove the pressure cooker from heat and keep aside.
- Dry roast the ingredients to make Achari masala in a pan till slightly browned and fragrant.
- Cool and grind to make a coarse powder.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add onions and fry till onions are pinkish.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till onions are golden brown in color.
- Add tomatoes and cook for a minute.
- Add the achari masala, roasted cumin powder, dry mango powder, salt and Kashmiri red chilli powder.
- Fry the masala for about 2 minutes, till oil starts to come on the sides of the pan.
- Add little water if required.
- Add the cooked chickpeas along with the water in the masala.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes on low heat.
- Add masala from pickle and cook for another minute.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with Parathas or naan.