Green Tomato Curry (Hare Tamatar Ki Sabji, Raw Tomato Curry) is a sweet, tangy, and spicy sabji made using unripe green tomatoes, jaggery, and a few simple Indian spices. Serve it with roti or paratha for a hearty meal (vegan, can be easily made gluten-free).
About Green Tomato Curry
Green Tomato Curry (Hare Tamatar Ki Sabji, Raw Tomato Curry) is a North Indian style semi-dry sabji made using unripe green tomatoes, jagger, and a few spices.
The tangy taste of green tomatoes pairs very well with jaggery. Make this sabji for everyday meals and serve it with roti, paratha, or dal rice.
Health Benefits Of Green Tomatoes
Green tomatoes are unripe tomatoes that are still firm and have a green tint. They are sour in taste and are often used in recipes that require a tart flavor.
Although green tomatoes are not as popular as their red counterparts, they offer several health benefits.
1. Green tomatoes are rich in nutrients.
Green tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, as well as potassium and fiber. They also contain lycopene, beta-carotene, and lutein, which are important antioxidants that can protect your body against disease.
2. Green tomatoes can boost your immune system.
The high levels of vitamin C in green tomatoes can help to strengthen your immune system and fight off infections.
3. Green tomatoes can help to improve your digestion.
The fiber content in green tomatoes can help to keep your digestive system healthy and promote regularity.
4. Green tomatoes can help to lower cholesterol levels.
The antioxidants in green tomatoes can help to reduce bad cholesterol levels and improve heart health.
5. Green tomatoes can help to protect against cancer.
Green tomatoes contain lycopene, which is a powerful antioxidant that has been shown to protect against some types of cancer, such as prostate cancer.
Green Tomatoes – Choose firm green tomatoes without any blemishes on them.
Spice Powders – You will need basic Indian spice powders like coriander powder, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, and asafetida (hing).
Jaggery – Use organic black jaggery for its health benefits. The light-colored jaggery has chemicals added to it to lighten its color and they are harmful to the body.
Others – You will also need vegetable oil, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, fresh ginger, garlic, green chilies, salt, and cilantro (fresh coriander leaves).
How To Make Green Tomato Curry
Heat 2 tablespoon vegetable oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
Once the oil is hot, add ¼ teaspoon asafetida, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, and ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds, and let them crackle for 4-5 seconds.
Add 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger, 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic, and 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chilies, and fry them for 20-30 seconds.
Add 350 g of green tomatoes (cut into ½-inch pieces), 2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder, and ½ teaspoon salt to the pan and mix well.
Reduce the heat to low.
Cover the pan with a lid and cook until tomatoes are cooked through (10-12 minutes). Stir a few times while cooking.
Add 2 tablespoon powdered jaggery and 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro and mix well.
Green Tomato Sabji can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
You Might Also Like
Green Tomato Curry Recipe (Hare Tamatar Ki Sabji)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon asafetida (hing) (skip for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chilies
- 350 grams green tomatoes (cut into ½-inch cubes)
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons pwodered jaggery
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (fresh coriander leaves)
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add asafetida, cumin seeds, and fenugreek seeds, and let them crackle for 4-5 seconds.
- Add ginger, garlic, and green chilies and fry them for 20-30 seconds.
- Add green tomatoes, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt to the pan and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook until tomatoes are cooked through (10-12 minutes). Stir a few times while cooking.
- Add jaggery and cilantro and mix well.
- Serve hot.