Bhel puri is a popular Indian street-style snack made using puffed rice as its base ingredient. This tangy, spicy and very slightly sweet chaat can be made in just 10 minutes if you have the ingredients ready. Here is my easy recipe to make at home.
About This Recipe
Bhel Puri is one of the most popular street food in India. It is a delicious and flavorful medley of puffed rice, chutneys, and an array of spice powders.
Bhelpuri is sweet, salty, and spicy with a little hint of tanginess and it is low-fat and nutritious too. The best part is that you can customize it to suit your taste.
You can make it either dry (sukha bhel) or wet (geela bhel). The dry version is made without the chutneys while the wet one has coriander mint and tamarind chutney added to it. I personally like the one with chutneys added to it as they elevate the flavor of this snack a lot.
You will find many variations of bhelpuri in India. In West Bengal, it is called jhalmuri and in Karnataka, it is called churmuri. Each version is slightly different from the other but delicious in its own way.
One portion (Approx. 1 cup) of bhelpuri has approximately 125 calories. It is a fairly healthy dish to eat and it keeps you full for a long time. On days when I want to serve a quick, healthy yet delicious tea-time snack to my family, bhelpuri is my savior.
This Bhel Puri is,
- Low calorie
- Easy to make
- A perfect accompaniment to tea
You will get all the ingredients to make bhelpuri in an Indian grocery store. Check out the ones near you. You can also find the ingredients online.
Puffed Rice – Puffed rice is very light and low on calories making it a delicious guilt-free snack. Make sure it is perfectly crispy and not soggy.
Fresh Ingredients – Puffed rice is mixed with fresh tomatoes, onion, boiled potatoes, cilantro, green mangoes and green chili peppers. You can adjust the amount of green chili peppers as per your taste.
If green mangoes are not in season, you can skip adding them.
Chutney – To make wet bhelpuri, you will need tamarind chutney and coriander mint chutney. You can make these chutneys at home or buy them. If you are not pressed with time, I suggest making the chutneys at home as they are much delicious than the store-bought bottles.
If you like it to make spicy bhelpuri, you can add in some red garlic chutney to it.
Spice Powders – To add more taste, we will add in some everyday spice powders such as salt, Kashmiri red chili powder, and chaat masala spice mix. While red chili powder adds a nice spicy kick and chaat masala adds to the tanginess.
Lime Juice & Sev – Finish it off with some freshly squeezed lime juice and garnish it with fine sev (a vermicelli-like snack made from chickpea flour). If you do not have the fine sev, you can add any sev that you prefer.
You can even add some roasted or fried peanuts for a nice crunch.
How to make Bhel Puri?
In a large bowl, mix together 3 tsp coriander mint chutney, 3 tsp tamarind chutney, ½ cup chopped onion, ½ cup chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp chopped green chili peppers, 3 tbsp chopped cilantro, ½ cup boiled and cubed potatoes, 2 tbsp peeled and chopped green mango, salt to taste, ½ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder, and 1 tsp chaat masala powder.
Add 2 cups of puffed rice and 1 tbsp lime juice to the bowl and mix the contents of the bowl together.
Serve the bhelpuri in a bowl and garnish with fine sev. Once you mix the puffed rice with other ingredients, make sure to serve it immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
To make a dry version of bhel puri, just skip adding the chutneys to the recipe. You can add some crumbled papdi, roasted peanuts, and masala chana to it too. You can add some grated cheddar cheese on top of it too.
1. Traditional Pressure Cooker – Wash and scrub the potatoes nicely. Add the potatoes to the cooker along with 2-3 cups of water. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 1 whistle on high heat, then lower the heat to medium-low and cook for another 2 more whistles. Remove the cooker from heat and let the pressure release on its own.
2. Instant Pot – Add the potatoes and 1 cup of water to the pot. Press PRESSURE COOK and set the timer to 5 minutes. Set the valve to the sealing position and let the timer finish. Let the pressure release on its own for 10 minutes and then move the valve to release the remaining pressure. Open the lid.
3. Pot – You can also cook the potatoes in a pot over the stovetop. Cut the potatoes in half. Heat water in a large pot. Add the potatoes and cover and cook on medium-low heat until they are softened.
Pro Tips By Neha
Serve it as soon as you make it otherwise it will turn soft and soggy which won’t taste great.
Prep is important! Keep all the ingredients ready before assembling the bhel puri.
To keep the bhelpuri crisp for a little longer, you can dry roast the puffed rice a little bit and then cool it down completely.
You can also make variations and add more veggies such as grated carrot, grated beetroot, chopped cucumber, etc.
Adjust the quantity of chutneys and spice powders and prepare it according to your taste.
This is a great snack to carry for your picnics. Just pack each ingredient in a small box and a large bowl to mix. Once you are ready to serve, just mix everything together and serve immediately.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
You might also like
Bhel Puri Recipe
- 3 teaspoons coriander mint chutney
- 3 teaspoons tamarind chutney
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chili peppers
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ½ cup boiled and cubed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons peeled and chopped green mangoes
- salt (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala spice mix
- 2 cups puffed rice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup fine sev
- In a large bowl, mix together 3 tsp coriander mint chutney, 3 tsp tamarind chutney, ½ cup chopped onion, ½ cup chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp chopped green chili peppers, 3 tbsp chopped cilantro, ½ cup boiled and cubed potatoes, 2 tbsp peeled and chopped green mango, salt to taste, ½ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder, and 1 tsp chaat masala powder.
- Add 2 cups of puffed rice and 1 tbsp lime juice to the bowl and mix the contents of the bowl together.
- Serve the bhelpuri in a bowl and garnish with fine sev. Once you mix the puffed rice with other ingredients, make sure to serve it immediately.