Try this easy and quick Lauki Ka Bharta which is prepared using bottle gourd, onion, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and spices. Serve it for weekday meals with lachha paratha. Here is how to make it.
You can try a few more lauki/bottle gourd recipes here – Lauki Chana Dal, Lauki Kofta, Shahi Bharwa Lauki, Lauki Tamatar Sabzi and Lauki Nazakat.
About This Recipe
Lauki Ka Bharta is a popular North Indian recipe where tender fresh lauki/bottle gourd is cooked along with onion, tomato, ginger, garlic and basic spices. It is easy to make, needs simple everyday ingredients and comes together in under 30 minutes.
It is just like Baingan Ka Bharta, but lauki is not roasted like baingan, instead it is peeled and grated to cook along with other ingredients.
Serve it for weekday meals with phulka, tawa paratha or lachha paratha for a comforting meal. You can also serve a raita on the side to complete the meal.
Lauki – Make sure that lauki or bottle gourd is not bitter. So taste it before grating it to use in the recipe. While buying bottle gourd, make sure that it is firm without any bruises or black patches on the skin.
Spice powders – This recipe uses basic spice powders such as coriander powder, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder and cumin powder. You can adjust the quantity of spice powders as per your taste and preference.
Oil – Use mustard oil to make bharta, as it adds a distinct flavour which makes it even more delicious. You can also use any vegetable oil instead.
Others – Cumin seeds, onion, ginger, garlic, tomato, green chillies, salt, lemon juice and fresh coriander are other few simple ingredients that are required to make the bharta.
You can simple avoid adding garlic and onions to make a no onion no garlic lauki bharta. Adjust the amount of green chillies, depending on how spicy you want the bharta to be.
Use fresh and green coriander leaves for a refreshing taste and a pop of green colour.
Add in green peas/matar or fresh fenugreek leaves/methi for an added taste.
It tastes delicious along with flaky Lachha Paratha and a Tomato Onion Raita. You can also serve it with Phulka, Tawa Paratha, Poori or even with Pav.
Lauki ka Bharta will last for about 3-4 days in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in a pan or microwave until hot before serving.
Step By Step Recipe
Wash and peel the lauki. Grate it using a medium grater. Heat oil in a pan.
Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds.
Add onions and saute for a 2-3 minutes.
Add ginger and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Now add tomatoes and green chilli and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder and salt.
Add grated lauki and cook for 2-3 minutes. Cover the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes until oil starts to separate from the sides of the pan.
Now add lemon juice and fresh coriander and mix well. Serve hot.
Lauki ka Bharta Recipe
- 300 g Lauki
- 3 tablespoon Mustard Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 cup Onions (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoon Ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoon Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Tomato (grated)
- 2 teaspoon Green Chilli (Chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- ½ teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Coriander (finely chopped)
- Wash and peel the lauki. Grate it using a medium grater.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add onions and saute for a 2-3 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and green chilli and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder and salt.
- Add grated lauki and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes until oil starts to separate from the sides of the pan.
- Add lemon juice and fresh coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Do I need to shred the excessive water from the grated lauki or could put that too?
You can put that too.
You can put the water.