Masala Chana Dal…Dal is a regular affair in most Indian house holds. We make dal every day for lunch and since I like to try out new recipes regularly, I made this masala chana dal for yesterday’s lunch. Spicy and full of flavours, Masala Chana Dal is a great accompaniment with rice or Chapaties. Here is how to make it.
Recipe to make Masala Chana Dal
Masala Chana Dal
- Chana dal - 1 cup
- vegetable oil - 3 tbsp
- Bay leaf - 1
- Dry red chilies - 3-4
- Heeng - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Onion - 1 cup Chopped
- Tomato - 1 cup Chopped
- Green chile - 2 Chopped
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Curd - 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Wash the chana dal and soak in enough water for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- When the oil is hot, add bay leaf, dry red chilies, hinge and cumin seeds and fry them for a few seconds.
- Add onion and fry till translucent.
- Add tomato and green chili and fry for a minute.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and garam masala powder and fry till oil starts to separate from the sides.
- Add little water if required.
- Add curd and dal along with 4 cups of water.
- Pressure cook till done.
- Remove the pressure cooker from heat and let the pressure release.
- Open the cooker.
- Add lemon juice in the dal and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or Chapati.