Namkeen Oliya (Rice with Yogurt and Dried Nuts) is a traditional Rajasthani dish especially made for the festival of Sheetala Ashtami (vegetarian, gluten-free).
Here are some more Rajasthani recipes that you may like – Mirchi Ke Tipore, Rajasthani Jaiphali Aloo, Rajasthani Panchmel Dal, Rajasthani Safed Maas, Mirchi Vada, Mawa Kachori, and Pitod Ki Sabzi.
About Rajasthani Namkeen Oliya
Namkeen Oliya (Rice with Yogurt and Dried Nuts) is a traditional Rajasthani dish prepared with yogurt, cooked rice, nuts, and spices. It is served in almost all the Marwari households in summer when the heat is at its peak.
It is quite similar to South Indian Curd Rice but has added nuts for crunchiness and there is no tempering.
Namkeen Oliya is popularly prepared during Sheetala Ashtami, a religious day that comes after Holi, when people eat cold food prepared a day prior. But at home, we love to enjoy it on a hot summer day for a light comforting lunch.
This recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free and you can easily double or triple it.
This recipe needs simple everyday ingredients such as plain yogurt (dahi), cooked rice, almonds, cashews, raisins, cumin powder, yellow mustard seed powder, cilantro (fresh coriander leaves), and salt.
Namkeen Oliya recipe is a great way to use up the leftover rice. If you are cooking fresh rice, makes sure to cool it down completely before mixing it up with the yogurt.
This is a great dish to prepare ahead of time. Prepare and store in an air-tight container for up to 4 days, in the refrigerator. Enjoy it chilled or leave it on the counter to come at room temperature before serving.
You Might Also Like
Rajasthani Namkeen Oliya Recipe (Rice with Yogurt and Dried Nuts)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (dahi, curd0
- ½ cup cooked and cooled rice
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons slivered cashew nuts
- 10-12 whole raisins
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon yellow mustard seeds powder
- Add yogurt to a medium mixing bowl and whisk using a wire whisk or a mathani until smooth and creamy.
- Add cooked rice, almonds, cashew nuts, raisins, roasted cumin powder, and yellow mustard seeds powder to the bowl and mix well.
- Add little milk if the oliya is too thick. Its consistency should be like that of curd rice.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and pomegranate kernels.
- Refrigerate for a few hours and serve chilled.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!