Sabz Badi Pulao is a wholesome, savoury Pulao loaded with veggies and urad dal nuggets. Relish it with any creamy raita and it is sure to make your day! Here is how to make Sabz Badi Pulao.
Pulao is a moreish, rice-based dish which is made slightly pungent using various Indian spices and in order to make it, various types of vegetables are used as well. It is hailed as a popular dish in the Indian, Iranian, Pakistani, Afghani, Turkish and many other cuisines of the world.
But I still feel butterflies in my stomach whenever I endure and try a new type of Pulao. Sabz Badi Pulao was one such attempt. As its name says, Sabz Badi Pulao is loaded with veggies like onion, carrot, beans, cauliflower, and peas and nuggets made using Urad Dal.
These nuggets lend an amazing munch to this dish. Also, zeera, green cardamom, cloves, black cardamom, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf grant it a pungent taste. The flavour and the aroma of Sabz Badi Pulao are also quite inviting.
The minute it got made, my kiddo traced its aroma and came running to the kitchen out of curiosity. We trio relished piping hot Sabz Badi Pulao with some creamy Spring Onion Peanut Raita during lunch and then went for a road trip.
This pulao turned out to be so decadent that I am definitely going to make it once again. In case you wish to try this lip-smacking Sabz Badi Pulao, here’s its simple recipe:
How to make Sabz Badi Pulao Step by Step
Sabz Badi Pulao Recipe
Sabz Badi Pulao
Sabz Badi Pulao is a wholesome, savoury Pulao loaded with veggies and urad dal nuggets. Relish it with any creamy raita and it is sure to make your day! Here is how to make it.
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Zeera
- 2-3 Green cardamom
- 3-4 Clove
- 2 Black cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 2-3 Dry red chilli
- 1/2 cup Onion Thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Carrot Chopped
- 1/4 cup Beans Chopped
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower Cut into small florets
- 1/4 cup Peas
- 1/2 cup Urad dal Ki badi Crushed
- 1/2 cup Curd
- 2 cups Long grain basmati rice
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp Fresh coriander Chopped
- Wash the rice and soak in enough water for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add badi and fry until slightly browned.
- Remove the badi from the pan and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in the same pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add zeera, green cardamom, cloves, black cardamom, bay leaf and dry red chilli.
- Let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add onion and fry until golden brown.
- Add carrot, beans, cauliflower and peas and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Now add fried badi and cook for another minute.
- Add curd and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the rice and add it in the pan.
- Add 3 and 1/2 cups of water, salt and garam masala powder and cover and cook on low heat until all the water is absorbed and rice is done.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice gently using a fork.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve with any raita of your choice.
Are you making this recipe? I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and tag Whiskaffair on Instagram with the hashtag #Whiskaffair and please give a star rating below ★. You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for more such easy recipes.