Veg Pulao Recipe is a delicious medley of rice, spices, and vegetables. Also known as Veg Pulav, Indian Pulao or Vegetable Pulao, this North Indian dish is very simple and easy to make and pairs perfectly with any raita or curry of your choice and is very tasty. Here is how to make it.
What is Pulao?
Pulao is a fragrant Indian style rice dish where rice is cooked with spices and vegetables.
A piece of papad on the side works like a charm.
There are often days when we are looking for simple, one pot comfort food that’s quick to make and good to eat.
For me, this Veg Pulao fits the bill perfectly on such days. You can also make this on occasion when you have guests over.
To cook this recipe, you just need a few minutes. Rice, onion, spices and a sprinkling of fresh green coriander makes this dish irresistible.
The whole spices used in this pulao lend it an aromatic and distinct flavor. The use of an array of vegetables makes it reasonably healthy.
This Vegetable Pulao can be paired with any raita of your choice.
Vegetable pulao is also a good way to sneak some vegetables in your little one’s diet. You can make this pulao recipe in a pressure cooker as well to save on time.
So, what are we waiting for? Let’s quickly get to the recipe!
What is the difference between Biryani and Pulao?
Pulao is a medley of rice with either vegetables or meat and both these things are cooked together with subtle spices whereas, in Biryani, rice and meat or vegetables are cooked separately and then assembled in layers.
It is much richer due to the use of ghee and fried onions and more spices.
Pro Tips by Neha
Use long grain Basmati rice to make this pulao. The grains will remain separate and the fragrance will be amazing.
You can choose the vegetables that you want to add in the pulao. You can also add corn kernels or baby corn, broccoli, capsicum, etc.
After the pulao is cooked, let it rest for at least 5 minutes before fluffing it with a fork. It will make sure the grains do not break while fluffing it.
Ghee adds a very delicious flavor to the rice however if you want, you can use olive oil too. But adding some fat helps to keep the grains separate so do not skip it.
Slightly crushing the whole spices before adding them in ghee will make the flavor stand out even more.
Add some roasted Kasuri Methi along with the vegetables for an even more delicious flavor of this pulao.
You can add bari or lentil dumplings to this pulao. Just break the bari into small pieces and fry until browned. Then add them in the pulao along with the vegetables.
I sometimes cook this pulao in veg stock instead of water and it takes the taste to a whole new level. You can try using soup cubes that are easily available.
Also, try to cook this pulao in thin coconut milk. It has a very different and very delicious taste.
I have a lovely recipe in which Veg Pulao is cooked in some curd. Do not forget to check it out. Here is how to make Dahi Wala Pulao.
You can add a paste made using coriander, mint, and green chilies. It will impart a very different flavor to the pulao.
You can also add masala powders like Goda Masala, Sambar Masala, or Vangi Bath Masala to this recipe for a change in taste.
Achari Veg Pulao – This veg pulao is spiked with tangy pickling spices.
Brown Rice Pulao – This pulao is made using brown rice instead of white rice.
How to make it in Pressure Cooker?
To make this pulao in a pressure cooker, follow the same method. Pressure cook the rice for one whistle on high heat and then switch off the flame. Let the pressure release on its own.
Open the cooker and then fluff the rice gently.
How to make it in Microwave?
To make veg pulao in a microwave, heat ghee for one minute in a microwave-safe bowl. Add cumin and whole spices and micro on high for 30 seconds.
Add onion, ginger, garlic and green chillies and micro on high for 3 minutes.
Now add the veggies and micro for 2 minutes.
Add the rice with water and salt and micro for 10 minutes.
Remove the bowl from microwave and let the rice rest for 5 minutes before fluffing it.
How to make it in Andhra Style?
To make a paste
- Dry coconut – 1/4 cup (Grated)
- Green Chillies – 1-2 (Chopped)
- Cashew Nuts – 5-6
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 2-3
- Black Peppercorns – 4-5
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
For the Pulao
- Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cloves – 2-3
- Peppercorn – 3-4
- Bay leaf – 2
- Onion – 1 cup (Thinly sliced)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
- Tomato – 1/2 cup (Sliced)
- Green Chilli – 2 -3 (Slit into half)
- Carrots – 1/2 cup (Cubed)
- Peas – 1/2 cup
- Beans – 1/4 cup (Chopped)
- Cauliflower – 1/2 cup (Cut into small florets)
- Potato – 1/4 cup (Peeled and cubed)
- Mint – 2 tbsp (Chopped)
- Coriander – 2 tbsp (Chopped)
- Rice – 2 cups
- Water – 4 cups
- Salt to taste
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
To make a paste
- Grind the ingredients along with some water to make a smooth paste.
For the Pulao
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cloves, peppercorn, and bay leaf and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add onion and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and fry for another minute.
- Add tomato and green chilli and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the masala paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add carrots, peas, beans, cauliflower, potato, mint and coriander and fry for a minute.
- Add rice, water, salt, garam masala and lemon juice.
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat until all the water is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- Serve hot.
You might also like
Step by Step Recipe
Wash the rice and soak it in enough water for 30 minutes. Heat ghee in a pan. Once the ghee is hot, add whole spices and let them crackle for a few seconds.
Add onion and fry until they turn slightly brown.
Now add ginger, garlic and green chilli and fry for a minute.
Add carrot, beans, cauliflower, peas and potato and cook for a minute.
Drain the rice and add it in the pan. Add 3 cups of water, salt and lemon juice and cover and cook on low heat until all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
Veg Pulao Recipe
- 1 cup Long Grain Basmati Rice
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Black cardamom
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 4-5 Black peppercorns
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 cup Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 1 tsp Garlic (Finely Chopped)
- 2-3 Green Chilli (Slit into half)
- 1/4 cup Carrot (Chopped)
- 1/4 cup Beans (Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower (Cut into small florets)
- 1/4 cup Peas
- 1/4 cup Potato (peeled and cubed)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Wash the rice and soak it in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, black cardamom, green cardamom, peppercorns and bay leaf and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add onion and fry until they turn slightly brown.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chilli and fry for a minute.
- Now add carrot, beans, cauliflower, peas and potato and cook for a minute.
- Drain the rice and add it in the pan.
- Add 2 cups of water, salt, garam masala powder and lemon juice and cover and cook on low heat until all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Serve hot with any raita.