Shahi Chole is rich, creamy and this gravy has been enriched with Khoya and milk and a little lemon juice and honey at the end, gave it a wonderful taste and flavor. The recipe was very well appreciated and now I have another winner in my collection. Do try this Shahi Chole masala to give a change to your regular Chole gravy.
Recipe to make Shahi Chole Masala
Shahi Chole Masala / Chickpeas in a rich and creamy gravy
- Chole / Chickpeas - 2 cup
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- Onion - 1 and 1/2 cups chopped
- Ginger paste - 1 tsp
- Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Tomato - 1 cup chopped
- Coriander powder - 3 tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Khoya - 100 gm
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tbsp
- Saffron - a pinch soaked in a tbsp of milk
- Wash and soak chole in enough water for 6-8 hours.
- Drain the water and add chole in a pressure cooker.
- Add 4 cups of water and 2 tsp salt and pressure cook till done.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add onion.
- Fry till onion are slightly brown.
- Add ginger and garlic paste.
- Cook till onions are browned.
- Add tomato and cook for another minute.
- Add coriander powder, kashmiri red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and roasted cumin powder.
- Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add little water if required.
- Add the boiled chole with the water and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Add khoya, milk and honey and mix well
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and saffron soaked in milk.
- Adjust salt as required.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with rice or Naan.