Nimbu Shikanji or Shikanjvi is a refreshing Indian drink made using lime juice, spice masala, and soda. Here is how to make it at home.
If you like to sip on Summer drinks, here are some more best options for you – Jeera Soda, Kulukki, Watermelon Mojito, Virgin Mojito, Apple Iced Tea, Aam Panna, Kiwi Cooler, Cucumber Mint Cooler, Jaljeera, and Watermelon Juice.
About This Recipe
Shikanji, which can also be called an Indian Lemonade is a popular Indian vegan drink that is very popular in the Northern part of India and is made in most of the households during summer.
The key ingredient of this drink is lime. Lime juice is mixed with a masala, sugar, mint leaves and is then topped with water or soda.
You will also find many street-side carts selling this refreshing Shikanjvi, in some of the North Indian states.
As we all know keeping yourself hydrated is necessary is very important in this heat, this is a great way to include some more liquid in your diet.
There are also many Shikanji Masalas available in the market, such as Jain Shikanji Masala, that can be used to make drinks too. But I like to make the masala at home and believe me, it tastes much better and fresh.
Well, if you have heard of Indori Shahi Shikanji, don’t get confused because the ingredients used in this Indori version of Shikanji are entirely different. It uses milk, saffron, cardamom powder, sugar, salt, yogurt, and dry fruits. I will surely share the recipe of this Indori version too very soon.
Lime: This is the star ingredients. Lime adds the perfect amount of tanginess to this drink, making it refreshing and delicious.
Spices: The lime juice is mixed with a masala before adding water or soda. This masala is made by roasting and grinding some everyday whole spices such as coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns. This mixture is then mixed with chaat masala, black salt, and regular salt.
Sugar: Powdered Sugar is added to make it sweet. You can also add powdered jaggery or honey instead of sugar if you are looking for a healthy alternative.
Mint Leaves: This is completely optional, but I love the taste mint leaves adds to this Shikanji, making it more refreshing.
Water or Soda: You can either top your Shikanji mixture with soda or water. If you like that fizz in your drinks, top it with chilled soda. Also add some ice cubes, because this drink tastes the best when served chilled.
You can also add coca-cola, sprite, or ginger juice instead of water or soda, to make a different variation of the same drink.
You can also add Chia Seeds to this drink, it is a great ingredient to include in your drinks during summer.
How to make Nimbu Shikanji?
Roast cumin seeds, black peppercorns, and coriander seeds in a shallow pan on medium heat until very slightly browned.
Once roasted, add them in a grinder along with chaat masala, black salt and regular salt and grind to make a fine powder.
Add lime juice in 2 glasses. Now add powdered sugar and mix using a spoon until sugar dissolves.
Add ½ tsp shikanji masala and a few mint leaves in each glass.
Add Ice cubes as per your liking.
Top the glasses with chilled water or soda. Serve immediately.
Along with being so tasty and refreshing, Nimbu Shikanji also has health benefits that will surely benefit your body. Let’s see what are they:
- As Lemon is the main ingredient, this drink is also rich in Vitamin C which helps in the formation of collagen, absorption of iron, the immune system, and wound healing. Not to forget, it is very good for your skin and hair too.
- It is great for digestion. It regulates bowel movements and relieves constipation.
- Shikanjvi is also a good option for weight loss, and therefore if you are on the journey of losing weight, include this drink in your daily diet.
- Gives you instant relief from the heat and works as a natural coolant.
- Keeps you hydrated.
What is the difference between Shikanji and Nimbu Pani?
Both the drinks are made with Lemon, but they are slightly different.
Whereas in the Shikanji, we use some whole spices such as coriander seeds and black peppercorns along with sugar and salt, Nimboo Pani uses only 5 ingredients Lemon, Water, Sugar, Salt, and Cumin Powder.
Also mostly Shikanji uses Soda and sometimes water, Nimboo Pani is made only with water.
You might also like
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1 tsp regular salt
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (powdered)
- 5-6 mint leaves
- ice cubes (as required)
- Roast cumin seeds, black peppercorns, and coriander seeds in a shallow pan on medium heat until very slightly browned.
- Once roasted, add them in a grinder along with chaat masala, black salt, and regular salt and grind to make a fine powder. This powder is called shikanji masala.
- Add lime juice in 2 glasses. Now add powdered sugar and mix using a spoon until sugar dissolves.
- Add ½ tsp shikanji masala and a few mint leaves to each glass.
- Add Ice cubes as per your liking.
- Top the glasses with chilled water or soda. Serve immediately.