Try this Kokum Juice, a popular and refreshing Goan beverage which is perfect to sip on a warm summer day. Here is how to make it.
You can check out my other favourite summer drinks here – 10 Must Try Summer Coolers.
About This Recipe
Kokum Sharbat (Kokum Juice) is a refreshing beverage from Goa popularly made during summers to beat the scorching heat outside.
Kokum is soaked and then cooked along with sugar, cumin, cardamom and black pepper to even out the sourness of the kokum. Enjoy it in between meals or serve it to your guests on a hot summer day.
Due to its incredible taste and cooling properties, it has become quite popular all over India.
What is Kokam?
Kokam is a fruit belonging to the same family as mangosteen and has culinary and medicinal uses. It is native to the southern states of India and the ripe fruit is dark purplish in colour.
Its botanical name is Garcinia Indica. You can read more about kokum here.
The outer covering of this fruit is dried and used in culinary space to give a tart flavour to the dishes. It is also called Aamsol in some parts of the country.
Kokum – This recipe uses dry kokum, that is easily available at any grocery store in India. Semi dried variety also works great, as it has no seeds. You can even use fresh kokum to make this sharbat.
Sugar – It is recommended to add mentioned quantity to even out the sourness of the kokum. You can always adjust the sugar quantity as per your taste.
Others – Roasted cumin powder, cardamom powder, water, black salt and salt are other few ingredients to flavour up the sharbat.
Frequently asked Questions:
To make sharbat using fresh kokum, cut the fruit into half. Discard the pulp and seeds of the fruit. Chop the outer cover in small pieces and then blend it in a blender. Strain this mixture and then cook it with sugar and other ingredients as mentioned below in the recipe.
- It works as an incredible cooling agent. It reduces body heat and makes you feel fresh.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties and is used for the treatment of sores.
- It has anti-fungal and antioxidant properties.
- Kokum stimulates appetite and improves digestion.
- It has anti-aging properties.
Kokum concentrate will last for about 6 months in the refrigerator in a glass bottle or a covered container. Use a clean and dry spoon to take out the concentrate for every use.
It is also freezer friendly! You can freeze it for about a year in a freezer safe zip lock bag or container. Thaw and use whenever required.
The best way to freeze it in the form of ice cubes. Just thaw one cube and enjoy the beverage on a hot summer day.
Just mix 3 tablespoon of concentrate with 1 glass water and add in some ice cubes to make a chilled sharbat. Enjoy it in evening instead of your regular tea/coffee with your favourite snacks.
It is also a great beverage to serve to your guests, visiting you on a hot day.
Pro Tips By Neha
Don’t use salted kokum to make this sharbat.
Always refrigerate the syrup after making it. Since we haven’t added any preservatives in it, refrigeration will make sure it stays good.
You might also like:
Step By Step Recipe
Soak the dry kokum in 4 cups of water for 1-2 hours.
Mash it nicely and strain the water.
Add the leftover Kokum in a pan.
Add sugar, roasted cumin powder, cardamom powder, black salt and regular salt.
Cook on low heat for 6-8 minutes until sugar melts.
Add the Kokum water in the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook for another 5 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and let the mixture cool. Strain the mixture and store in a glass bottle in the refrigerator.
Kokum Juice Recipe
- 200 g Dry Kokum
- 4 cups Water
- 200 g Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- ½ teaspoon Black salt
- Salt to taste
- Soak the dry kokum in 4 cups of water for 1-2 hours.
- Mash it nicely and strain the water.
- Add the leftover Kokum in a pan along with sugar, roasted cumin powder, cardamom powder, black salt and regular salt.
- Cook on low heat for 6-8 minutes until sugar melts.
- Add the Kokum water in the pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the mixture cool.
- Strain the mixture and store in a glass bottle in refrigerator.
- To make the sherbet, pour 3 tablespoon of kokum concentrate and top up with chilled water.
- Add a few ice cubes in the glass.
- Serve chilled.