Bengali Aloo Sheddo (Alu Sheddho) is basically Bengali-style mashed potatoes. Make them using my easy traditional recipe (vegetarian, gluten-free).
Here are some more potato recipes that you may like – Aloo Bhindi, Til Wale Aloo, Aloo Pakora, Aloo Methi, and Aloo Halwa.
About Aloo Sheddo
Aloo Sheddo (Alu Sheddho) is a popular dish in Bengali cuisine. Made with potatoes, onions, and a few mild spices, it is basically Bengali-style mashed potatoes. Warm, fluffy, and buttery, these mashed potatoes are super easy to make and come together in no time.
It is comfort food for most Bengalis and is mostly served as a side dish with dal and steamed rice.
This recipe is gluten-free and if made using mustard oil in place of ghee, then it’s vegan too.
You can easily double or triple the aloo sheddo recipe if making it for a crowd.
Potatoes – Try to use starchy potatoes like Russet, Idaho, or Yukon gold. Having said that any potatoes will work in this recipe.
Ghee or Mustard Oil – This recipe is made using either ghee or mustard oil. Mustard oil has its own pungent flavor which makes these potatoes very unique.
Others – You will also need onions, green chilies, cilantro (fresh coriander leaves), and salt.
Adjust the green chilies as per your taste.
Aloo Sheddo can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply microwave or heat on the stovetop until warm.
This dish can also be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
You Might Also Like
Bengali Aloo Sheddo Recipe (Alu Sheddho)
- 12 ounce potatoes (350 g)
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (fresh coriander leaves)
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons ghee or mustard oil (plus more for drizzling)
Boil The Potatoes
- If using a Pressure cooker, add the potatoes to the cooker. Add water until potatoes are just covered. Close the lid and pressure cook on high heat for 6-7 whistles. Remove the cooker from heat and let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid and drain the potatoes.
- If using an Instant Pot, add the potatoes to the pot along with 2 cups of water. Close the lid and set the valve to the sealing position. Press PRESSURE COOK and set the timer to 8 minutes on high pressure. Once the timer goes off, let the pressure release for 10 minutes naturally. Release the remaining pressure manually and open the lid. Take out the potatoes from the pot.
- If using a Stove Top, add the potatoes to a large pot and cover completely with water. Close the lid of the pot and cook for 20-25 minutes on medium heat until the potatoes are tender.
Make Aloo Sheddo
- Peel the potatoes.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- While they are still hot, mash the potatoes using a potato masher.
- Add onions, green chilies, cilantro, salt, and ghee or mustard oil to the bowl.
- Continue mashing using the masher or your hands until the mixture is smooth and lump-free.
- Check for salt and add more if needed.
- Form small balls from the mixture and press them gently in the center to make a little indentation.
- Arrange the balls on the serving platter. Drizzle with mustard oil or ghee and serve.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!