Korma or qorma is a dish made with yogurt and a paste of nuts and seeds. I made a Badami Chicken Korma today with almond paste and yogurt and it’s turned out very delicious.
The recipe is very simple to make and unlike other chicken recipes, very less onion is used to make this. Take care while frying the onions to golden brown. They should not be over fried otherwise the gravy will have a bitter taste. Keep in mind that they keep to brown a little more even after taking out from the oil.
Badami Chicken Korma Recipe
Badami Chicken Korma
Badami Chicken Korma is a gravy dish made with almond paste and yogurt and is very delicious. It is very simple to make and unlike other chicken recipes, very less onion is used to make this.
- 1 kg Chicken Cut into small pieces
- 1 and 1/2 cups Onion Very thinly sliced
- Oil for frying onions
- 5 tbsp Ghee
- 3-4 Clove
- 2 Black cardamom
- 5-6 Black peppercorns
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3-4 Dry red chilli
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 3 tsp Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 20-25 Almonds
- Soak the almonds in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the skin.
- Cut 4-5 almonds into thin slivers for garnishing.
- Keep them aside.
- Grind the remaining almonds to a fine paste using little water.
- Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add onions and fry till golden brown.
- Drain on a plate lined with tissue.
- Keep aside.
- Whisk the yogurt and add ginger paste, garlic paste, red chili powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and salt to it.
- Mix well.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
- When the ghee is hot, add cloves, black cardamom, peppercorns, cinnamon ad dry red chilies.
- Fry for 20 seconds.
- Add the chicken and fry on high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Crush the fried onions nicely.( keep a tbsp or two aside for garnishing )
- Add them in the pan.
- Cook for another minute.
- Add the yogurt mixture.
- Cook till ghee starts to float on top.
- Add the almond paste and a little water if required.
- Cook till chicken is done on low flame.
- Garnish with slivered almonds, fried onions and saffron strands.
- Serve hot with naan, laccha paratha or rice.
Are you making this recipe? I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and tag Whiskaffair on Instagram with the hashtag #Whiskaffair and please give a star rating below ★. You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for more such easy recipes.