Badami Chicken Curry, Almond Chicken Curry or Chicken Curry with Almonds as the name suggests is a rich chicken curry made along with almonds. Here is how to make it.
What could make a chicken curry more special than it already is you ask?
Try this royal and decadent Badami Chicken Curry or Almond Chicken Curry with Almonds and you won’t think of your regular chicken curry anymore.
Made with an exquisite mix of ingredients like fresh cream, Kasuri methi, or dried fenugreek leaves and almonds or badam, this whole dish has a very unique aroma and a rather distinct flavor associated with it.
This chicken curry might not turn out to be an everyday dish in the kitchen, but it sure is a recipe you will not forget to include when you’re planning a party or family get together at home.
This Badami Chicken Curry with Almonds is a beautiful combination with the flavors of tender succulent pieces of chicken, that slight sweetness of the almond paste, and the creaminess of the malai or fresh cream.
If you’re a lover of chicken which is one ingredient that is extremely high in protein and essential fats, then this is one dish you’re going to love.
The almond paste helps balance out the flavors of this dish and helps lower the spice quotient of the whole dish considerably.
The cream used helps give the dish a royal flavour and a lovely rich texture.
This Badami Chicken curry recipe might seem rather tedious, but if you follow the recipe carefully, you’ll sail right through it.
The chicken curry is prepared by first heating some oil and ghee in a pan, followed by the addition of some of the quintessential Indian spices like peppers, cardamom, cinnamon, and bay leaf.
To this, the onion, ginger, and garlic are added and cooked with the chicken on high heat. Now the curd or yogurt and green chilies are added.
To this chicken mixture, some spices, salt and creamy almond paste are added.
Finally, once the gravy has thickened some fresh cream and Kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves are put in.
This chicken curry might tend to be a little high in calories, but who’s counting calories when you are immersed in the decadence of this divine Indian curry.
It is to be served hot with Naan bread or Butter Garlic Naan.
So what are you waiting for, make this decadent chicken curry and watch your family and friends devour it and mop it clean off their plates?
Step By Step Recipe
Heat vegetable oil and ghee in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add cloves, black peppercorn, cinnamon, black cardamom and bay leaf and let them crackle for a few seconds.
Add onion and fry until slightly browned.
Add ginger and garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
Now add chicken and cook on high heat for 4-5 minutes.
Add curd and green chilli and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, salt and almond paste.
Now add milk and ½ cup water and cover and cook until chicken is done.
Remove the lid and cook until the gravy is slightly thickened. Add fresh cream and kauri methi and mix well. Serve hot with naan.
Badami Chicken Curry Recipe
- 1 kg Chicken (Curry Cut)
- 3 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 tablespoon Ghee
- 2-3 Cloves
- 2-3 Black peppercorn
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2-3 Black Cardamom
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 1 and ½ cup Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 2 teaspoon Ginger (Grated)
- 2 teaspoon Garlic (Grated)
- ½ cup Curd (Whisked with 1 teaspoon Maida)
- 2-3 Green Chilli (Slit into half)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- 20-25 Almonds (Blanched, peeled and made into a paste)
- ½ cup Milk
- ¼ cup Fresh Cream
- 2 tablespoon Kasuri Methi
- Heat vegetable oil and ghee in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add cloves, black peppercorn, cinnamon, black cardamom and bay leaf and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add onion and fry until slightly browned.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add chicken and cook on high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add curd and green chilli and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, salt and almond paste.
- Now add milk and ½ cup water and cover and cook until chicken is done.
- Remove the lid and cook until the gravy is slightly thickened.
- Add fresh cream and kauri methi and mix well.
- Serve hot with naan.