Fiery hot and full of garlic flavor, this Indo Chinese Chilli garlic chicken is a must make recipe. Enjoy it with fried rice or plain steamed rice. Here is how to make it.
About the recipe
This is an Indo Chinese dish which is quintessentially spicy and full of flavor of garlic. It is served across the world in many Chinese restaurants.
That subtle blend of the flavors of this Chilli Chicken served with Fried Rice feels so divine that you feel like feasting on these meals every week. So, preparing these two dishes has become more or less like a weekend ritual at my home, ha!
To make this delicious chilli chicken starter, first the chicken pieces are marinated in a simple marinade of ginger, garlic, vinegar and salt. It is kept aside for at least half an hour. Then the chicken pieces are coated with some cornflour and all purpose flour to give it a lovely crunch on frying. A pan is heated with oil and the chicken pieces are deep fried in the pan till it’s browned evenly.
For this recipe, we’re also making a flavorful sauce using ginger, garlic, chilles, red chilli paste, soy sauce and ketchup. Once the gravy is cooked, chopped capsicum and the fried chicken pieces are to be added, you can also add chopped onions.
In most restaurants, you’ll find that this is quite spicy, but you can make changes to the number of chillies and add it to this recipe based on your tolerance level. This chicken tastes delicious when it’s nicely coated with sauce and served hot.
Chilli Garlic Chicken
- 300 g Chicken Breast (Cut into small pieces)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 teaspoon Rice Vinegar
- 4 tablespoon Cornflour (Divided)
- 2 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoon Oil (Plus for frying)
- 2 tablespoon Garlic (Chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger (Chopped)
- 3-4 Red Chillies (Slit into half)
- 1 tablespoon Red Chilli Paste
- 1 teaspoon Soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon Tomato Ketchup
- 2 capsicum (Cut into square pieces)
- 2 tablespoon Spring Onion Greens (Chopped)
- Mix salt, ginger garlic paste and vinegar in a bowl.
- Add chicken pieces and mix well and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil for frying the chicken pieces in a pan.
- Add 2 tablespoon cornflour and all purpose flour in the chicken and coat the chicken well with the dry mixture.
- Deep fry the chicken pieces till golden brown and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add garlic, ginger and red chilies.
- Fry till the garlic is slightly browned.
- Add red chilli paste, soy sauce and tomato ketchup and fry for a few seconds.
- Mix 2 tablespoon cornflour in a cup of water and add it in the pan.
- Cook till the gravy thickens.
- Adjust water according to your liking.
- Add capsicum and fried chicken pieces.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with fried rice or steamed rice.