Brinjal or Eggplant is not everyone’s favorite vegetable. It’s quirky bitter taste and itchiness are not favored by many, especially children. Yet brinjal is a very nutritious vegetable, high on magnesium, and vitamins. A great way of incorporating the veggie into the daily menu is by making this Dahi Wala Baingan Ka Bharta.
This is a very simple, tasty, slightly spicy gravy that can be made as a great accompaniment to mutton biryani, plain white rice or even rotis and chapattis. The curds in this dish help the brinjal absorb the spices, while also lending a tangy flavor to this dish. When you have this with rice or Bakarkhani Roti or Poori it brings out the true flavor of this dish.
Dahi Wala Baingan Ka Bharta Recipe
Dahi Wala Baingan Ka Bharta
Dahi Wala Baingan Ka Bharta is a very simple, tasty, slightly spicy gravy that can be made as a great accompaniment to mutton biryani, plain white rice.
- 500 g Eggplant / Baingan
- 1 cup Curd Whisked
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil
- 4-5 Dry red chilies
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds / Zeera
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds / Rai
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds / Methi Crushed
- 1/2 tsp Carom seeds / Ajwain
- 1/2 cup Onion Chopped
- 1 Green chilli Chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger Chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh coriander Chopped
- Wash the eggplant and wipe it with a kitchen towel.
- Make slits in the eggplant using kitchen knife all around.
- Keep the eggplant over the gas stove and roast from all the sides until charred and cooked till inside.
- Remove from heat and let cool for sometime.
- Remove the skin of eggplant and mash the pulp.
- Add whisked yogurt and salt and mix well.
- For tempering
- Heat oil in pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add dry red chilies, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and carom seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add onion and fry till onions turns transparent.
- Add green chilli and ginger and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the tempering over the eggplant mixture.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with Phulka and Dal.