Try this 10 minutes Hurda Bhel made using tender green Jowar, which is quite popular in Gujarat and Maharashtra. (vegan and gluten-free).
What Is Hurda
Hurda (Ponkh, Paunk) is fresh tiny green Jowar grains that are harvested during a brief period of winters (December to February). It is very popular in Maharashtra and Gujarat.
Hurda grains are crunchy, tender, and juicy and are either roasted or cooked in another way before consumption.
These days, you get ready to eat hurda in packets at grocery stores or local sabjiwalas during winters.
Hurda can also be frozen for 3-4 months. You can stock it up during the season and keep enjoying it later as well. It can be used to make Hummus, bhel, khichdi, or even bhajiyas.
About This Recipe
Hurda Bhel (ponkh bhel) is a traditional savory snack made using ponk, dry sesame chutney, and a few more ingredients. It is easy, super healthy, and comes together in just 10 minutes.
This seasonal snack recipe is best served as a tea-time snack with a hot cup of masala chai or can be served as chaat at your winter parties.
Hurda – Check your grocery store or local sajiwalas.
Dry Sesame Chutney – This is the same chutney that is used to make vada pav. You can either make it at home using my easy vada pav chutney recipe or buy a packet.
Sev – Any spicy sev will do!
Others – You will also need onions, tomatoes, cilantro (coriander), green chilies, salt, and lime juice.
How To Make Hurda Bhel
Add 1 cup ready to eat hurda to a pan and roast on medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Keep stirring continuously. Do not roast too much otherwise they will lose the moisture. We just want to warm it a bit.
Transfer it to a mixing bowl.
Mix it with ¼ cup chopped onions, ¼ cup chopped tomatoes, 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro (coriander), 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies, ¼ teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and 1 teaspoon dry sesame chutney.
Check for salt and add more if required and mix well again.
Top with 2 tablespoon spicy sev and serve immediately.
Cheesy – Just mix in some grated cheese and butter with lightly roasted ponk.
Eat it fresh! It tastes the best when prepared at the time of serving. Leftovers can be stored in an air-tight container for 1-2 days.
You Might Also Like
Hurda Bhel Recipe
- 1 cup ready to eat hurda (green jowar grains)
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (coriander)
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dry sesame chutney
- 2 tablespoons spicy sev
- Add hurda to a pan and roast on medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Keep stirring continuously. Do not roast too much otherwise they will lose the moisture. We just want to warm it a bit.
- Transfer it to a mixing bowl.
- Mix it with onions, tomatoes, cilantro, green chilies, salt, lime juice, and dry sesame chutney.
- Check for salt and add more if required and mix well again.
- Top with 2 tablespoon spicy sev and serve immediately.