Try this refreshing and unique Kesar Chandan Sharbat, that is perfect to serve on a hot summer day. Here is how to make it. (vegan and gluten free)
About This Recipe
Kesar Chandan Sharbat is a royal and soothing blend prepared with just 5 main ingredients – kesar (saffron), chandan powder, sugar, citric acid and lemon juice.
It is quite unique when it comes to other Indian sharbat recipes and easy to make at home as well. Serve it to your friends and family during summers, to beat the scorching heat outside.
Double or triple the recipe, if making for a bigger crowd.
It is prepared with just a few simple ingredients. All you need – kesar, water, chandan powder, sugar, citric acid and lemon juice.
Use a good quality kesar or saffron for the best flavour and colour.
You can easily get chandan powder in nearby grocery stores or you can order it online from shopping portals.
Adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste. Use freshly squeezed lemon juice only.
- Kesar prevents many diseases, it is an anti-depressant, it controls blood pressure.
- Kesar is even good for our skin. It even cures acne and blemishes.
- Chandan (Sandalwood) powder is more of a coolant. It really pacifies our body.
- The combination of kesar and chandan helps naturally mollify and cool our body, and keep it hydrated.
The kesar sugar concoction will easily last you for 2-3 weeks, when stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Use a clean and dry spoon for every use, as it will ensure that the syrup lasts longer.
Just add in chandan powder, water and ice cubes and mix it well before serving.
Kesar Chandan Sharbat can be sipped on a hot summer day to keep yourself hydrated. It can also be served to your guests, as its quite unique and delicious.
You can also serve it on the side with your festive or special Indian meals.
Do try this soothing Kesar Chandan Sharbat during these Summer months. I have carefully compiled all the necessary ingredients and instructions for you in order to make the same.
If you do not have the luxury of time, then you may try to adjust your schedule a little on weekend and make this yummy drink. Mark my words, you would love its appeasing taste.
Kesar Chandan Sharbat
- 1 litre Water
- 5 cups Sugar
- 3 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Chandan Powder / Sandalwood Powder (If Chandan powder is not available, you can use the chandan stick. Just make a paste using the stick and add it in the syrup.)
- 1 teaspoon Saffron
- 1 teaspoon Citric acid
- Heat ½ cup water in a pan and when it starts to boil add saffron to it.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Using a mortar, crush the saffron roughly.
- Heat 1 litre of water in a pan along with sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook until sugar is dissolved and mixture is slightly thickened ( Approximately 5 minutes after boiling )
- Pass this mixture through a strainer.
- Add saffron water, chandan powder and citric acid to the mixture and mix well.
- Transfer the Sharbat Syrup in a clean glass bottle.
- You can store this syrup for up to a month in refrigerator.
- To make Sharbat, add 1 tablespoon of Kesar Chandan Syurp in a glass and top the glass with chilled water.
- Serve with ice cubes.