Mango Kadhi or Fajeto is a Gujarati dish made with yogurt and chickpea flour. In order to make this dish, pulp of ripe mango is added to it to give a tangy taste. You may be skeptical on how the sweet taste of Mango goes with the tanginess of the kadhi, but be assured, the outcome is a delight to eat. We enjoyed this Mango Kadhi with steamed rice and phulke.
For summer parties, you could easily prepare Mango Kadhi and serve it to your guests to bring in some variety on the table. Also, I have observed that the guests are always open about savouring different cuisines. Hence, once in a while, do try to make dishes of various cuisines such as Mango Kadhi (popular dish of Gujarati cuisine), Katachi Amti (popular dish of Maharashtrian cuisine) or Coconut Rice (popular dish of South Indian cuisine).
For this month make a multi-cuisine meal plan and surprise your loved ones! Do include this yummy Mango Kadhi as well because mangoes are available in abundance these days. So, take a note of this quick recipe and let me know your feedback for the same. Also, you can reach me anytime on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to learn new recipes and food hacks!
Here is a video recipe to make Mango kadhi
Mango Kadhi / Indian Yogurt Soup Flavored with Ripe Mangoes
- Sour curd - 1 cup
- Chickpea flour / Besan - 2 tbsp
- Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
- Green chili - 2
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Fenugreek / Methi seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard / Sarson seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin / Zeera seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida / Heeng - 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chilies - 2-3
- Curry leaves - 10-12
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mango puree - 1 cup
- For tempering:
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek / Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard / Sarson seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin / Zeera seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chilies - 3-4
- Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Blend chickpea flour, curd, ginger and green chilies in a blender to make a lump free paste.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Add dry red chilies and curry leaves.
- Now add the curd paste.
- Add 3 cups of water, turmeric powder, salt and mango puree.
- Bring the kadhi to a boil.
- Simmer the heat and let the Kadhi cook for almost 20-25 minutes on low heat.
- For tempering
- Heat ghee in a small pan.
- When the ghee is hot, add fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dry red chilies.
- Fry for 10 seconds.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Add dry red chili powder.
- Pour the tempering over the cooked kadhi.
- Serve the kadhi with rice or Phulke