Masala Baati is a Rajasthani Bread which is made by stuffing dough with a mixture of potato, peas and spices. It is served with dal or a spicy chutney on the side. Here is how to make Masala Bati.
Rajasthani dishes are rich, layered and carry very traditional tastes. Masala Baati is one such dish, similar to Bihari Litti, and is soft dough stuffed with delicious potatoes, peas mixed with spices.
Growing up, baatis were frequently prepared in our home, and they made a great replacement for regular breads and were also eaten as snacks. They are sometimes boiled before deep frying, but in this recipe, I have baked them and when coated with ghee, are great to munch on. You can even wary the filling if you like.
You might also like
Masala Baati Recipe
Rajasthani dishes are rich, layered and carry very traditional tastes. Masala Baati is one such dish stuffed with a spicy tangy masala.
For the dough
- 3 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ajwain
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
For the masala
- 1/2 cup Potato Boiled and Mashed
- 1/4 cup Peas Boiled and mashed
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Green chilli Finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Grated
- 2 tbsp Fresh coriander Chopped
- 1 tsp Amchoor powder
- 1 tsp Fennel powder
- For the dough
- Mix whole wheat flour, salt, ajwain and oil in a pan.
- Knead a tight dough using lukewarm water.
- Keep aside, covered for 30 minutes.
- For the masala
- Mix all the ingredients to make the masala in a bowl and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts.
- Roll each part into a rough ball.
- Slightly flatten the ball and keep a tbsp of filling in the centre.
- Bring the ends together.
- Make an indentation in the centre of each ball with your thumb.
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degree C.
- Set the oven on toast mode.
- Bake the baatis for 20-25 minutes, till slightly browned.
- Remove from oven.
- Dunk the baati in ghee before serving.
- Serve along with Panchmel Dal and Garlic Chutney.
Are you making this recipe? I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and tag Whiskaffair on Instagram with the hashtag #Whiskaffair and please give a star rating below ★. You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for more such easy recipes.