Kacche Aam Ki Launji is a sweet and spicy chutney made using tangy green mangoes, jaggery, and a few simple spices. This chutney keeps good in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. So make a big batch and enjoy!
About This Recipe
Kaccha Aam Ki Launji (Sweet & Spicy Green Mango Chutney) is a North Indian condiment prepared with raw mangoes, jaggery, spices, and a few more simple ingredients.
This chutney is easy to make, delicious, and super addictive. In summers when mangoes are in season, it is almost always stocked in the refrigerator and served with every Indian style meal.
Every household has its own recipe to make aam ki launji, and in today’s post, I am sharing the recipe my mom has been making for years.
You can easily scale the recipe as this chutney stays good in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
Raw Mangoes – Use raw green mangoes that are tangy and a little firm to press. Avoid the ones that has black and soft patches.
Jaggery – It adds sweetness that perfectly complements the tanginess of raw mangoes. Use organic jaggery. It is dark in color but the lighter ones have many chemicals added to them to lighten their color and it’s very harmful to the body.
Others – You will also need hing(asafoetida), vegetable oil, kalonji(nigella seeds), saunf(fennel seeds), salt, Kashmiri red chilli powder and salt.
Avoid asafetida (hing) for a gluten free version.
Green Mangoes Health Benefits
Raw mangoes have many health benefits.
Not only help in reducing cholesterol but they are also good for the eyes and skin.
They increase immunity and smoothen the process of digestion.
Raw mangoes help beat the scorching heat of summers.
They also reduce the risk of blood disorders and have lowers the risk of certain types of cancers.
How To Make Aam Ki Launji
Rinse 1 pound (500 g) of green mangoes well with water. Peel them using a sharp paring knife. Cut the flesh into thin wedges.
You can either discard the pit or add it to the launji.
Crumble the jaggery.
Gather the remaining ingredients.
Make The Launji
Heat 3 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
When the oil is hot, add ½ teaspoon asafetida (hing), ½ teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji), and 2 teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf), and let them crackle for 4-5 seconds.
Add the mangoes wedges, 2 teaspoon salt, and 2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder to the pan and mix well.
Stir in 1 cup of water and cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid.
Reduce the heat to low.
Cook for 10-12 minutes until the mangoes are softened. Stir a few times while cooking.
Note – Do not overcook the mangoes otherwise the launji will mushy. The mangoes must be cooked but should still have a bite to them.
Now add 1 and ½ cups of crumbled jaggery and cook till it melts, stirring continuously.
Cover the pan once again and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Remove the pan from heat and let the launji come down to room temperature. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
It also makes for a great accompaniment to everyday Indian-style meals.
Kacche Aam Ki Launji can be easily preserved for up to 3 months. Store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
It is also freezer friendly. Once it cools down, store it in a freezer safe container or ziplock bag for 6 months.
You Might Also Like
Kacche Aam ki Launji Recipe (Sweet and Spicy Green Mango Chutney)
- 1 pound green mangoes (500 g, peeled and cut into thin wedges)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 and ½ cups crumbled jaggery
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add asafetida, nigella seeds, and fennel seeds, and let them crackle for 4-5 seconds.
- Add the mangoes wedges, salt, and red chili powder to the pan and mix well.
- Stir in water and cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes until the mangoes are softened. Stir a few times while cooking.
- Note – Do not overcook the mangoes otherwise the launji will mushy. The mangoes must be cooked but should still have a bite to them.
- Now add jaggery and cook till it melts, stirring continuously.
- Cover the pan once again and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the launji come down to room temperature. Serve at room temperature or chilled.