Gur Ka Halwa is a tasty sweet dish made from jaggery and semolina. A traditional Indian dish, it is mostly prepared during the cold season and winters, as jaggery and ghee lend warmth to the body. This recipe is very simple, and easy to make, perfect when guests come over, or for a festival or celebration. The reddish tint of the jaggery, and the lovely depth that it lends to this sweet dish, rather than sugar, makes for a perfect winter breakfast. You can even enjoy this dish, in Marwari style by eating it with a sprinkle of ginger powder, and roast papad on the side.
The dish is almost similar in its preparation to the Gur Aur Aate Ka Halwa, with a few ingredients here and there. If you are fond of halwa, you can even try making the Besan Ka Halwa, or Aate Ka Halwa recipe. Here is how to make Gur ka halwa.
Gur ka Halwa
Gur ka Halwa
- Ghee - ¼ cup
- Sooji / Semolina - 1 cup
- Gur -1/2 cup ( Soaked in 2 cups of warm water )
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Saffron - 10-15 strands
- Khoya - 100 g ( grated )
- Almond and pistachio slivers for garnishing
- Heat ghee in heavy bottom pan.
- Add sooji and roast the sooji until golden brown on low flame.
- Add jaggery dissolved in water, cardamom powder, saffron stands and khoya and mix well.
- Cook until halwa thickens and sooji is cooked.
- Garnish with almond and pistachio slivers.
- Serve hot.