South Indian Food is popular all over the world, due to its distinct and unique taste. It is loved, especially among the North Indians, as the food in South India is very different from what they make in North Indian households.
Being a North Indian myself, I relished on South Indian food every then and now when I was living in Bangalore and since then I have even started trying out some recipes at home.
While I love the taste and simplicity of South Indian vegetarian dishes, I just love their humble and mouth watering Non Vegetarian dishes too, especially Seafood.
And this PRAWN COCONUT CURRY, is a regular at home for the weekend meals. Simple to make and delicious to eat, this Prawn Curry is filled with so many flavours, that it makes you say ‘WOW’ at the first bite itself.
So, without wasting any time, get your ingredients ready and make this irresistible and full of flavour Prawn Coconut Curry at home. Learn how to make Prawn Coconut Curry, that can also be made for your delicious party meals. Here is the recipe of Prawn Coconut Curry.
What is Prawn Coconut Curry?
Prawn Coconut Curry is a creamy curry where prawns are cooked in a delicious tomato onion curry which is flavoured with coconut milk. Dry red chillies, green chillies and black pepper powder are used in the curry, which gives it a perfect hint of spice.
This curry also uses Tamarind, which adds a tangy taste to this creamy and spicy curry. Try this curry and you know you will taste all the flavours – Tangy, Spicy and Sweet in just one curry. That’s the reason I love this curry so much.
You can serve it along with Steamed White Rice, Kerala Rice or even along with Dosa, Neer Dosa or Appam. You can even substitute prawn with chicken or fish in this curry.
You can even try other Popular Prawn Curries such as – Bengali Prawn Curry, Mangalorean Style Prawn Curry, Sri Lankan Prawn Curry and Thai Prawn Curry. I will make these delicious curries soon and share it with you guys.
How to make fresh Coconut Milk?
I prefer making coconut milk at home, as it is easy to make and also free of preservatives. Therefore, I will share the recipe of how to make fresh coconut milk at home.
Firstly, take a fresh coconut. Break it open and take out the coconut water in a glass. Take out the white flesh from the coconut and grate it using a hand grater.
Add the grated coconut in a blender along with 1 cup of water and blend it till the coconut is blended well along the water. Pour the coconut mixture in a bowl lined with a thin muslin or fine strainer.
Strain the coconut milk and press the coconut mixture towards the strainer using the back of the spoon, so that all the milk is strained away.
This is the 1st extract, which is thick and can be used to add in the curries at the end for a creamy texture or even in milkshakes and desserts.
Prawns in Coconut Milk Curry, How to make Prawns in Coconut Milk Curry
- Prawns - 400 g
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Onion - 1 cup finely chopped
- Dry red chilies - 2 broken
- Green chilies - 2 slit into half
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Tomato - 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Clean and wash the prawns. ( It is important to remove the black vein )
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add curry leaves and onion and fry till onions turns translucent.
- Add dry red chilies and green chilies and cook for a minute.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook the raw smell is gone.
- Add tomatoes and 1/2 cup water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, black pepper powder and salt to taste.
- Add 1/2 cup water and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Simmer the heat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the prawns and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Naan or rice.