Make this creamy Strawberry Banana Milkshake using fresh or frozen strawberries for a delicious breakfast treat. You can make it with or without ice cream using this best and easy recipe. Here is how to make it (vegetarian, gluten-free).
About Strawberry Banana Milkshake
Milkshakes are my favorite beverage for breakfast or evening snacks, and this creamy Strawberry Banana Milkshake is a current favorite.
Made using 6 simple ingredients, this strawberry and banana milkshake comes together quickly if the fruits are prepared and frozen.
Serve it for a yummy breakfast, after-school, or mid-day snack; this refreshing strawberry milkshake will be your favorite all summer.
When strawberries are not in season, you can make this easy strawberry banana milkshake recipe using frozen berries. Check my post on how to freeze strawberries while they are in season and then use them all year round.
This delicious homemade milkshake can be made with or without ice cream. It is obviously more indulgent when ice cream is added to the recipe, but if you are looking for a healthy option, skip it.
You can easily double or triple this recipe.
Here are more of my favorite milkshake recipes
- Dates Milkshake
- Milo Milkshake
- Oreo Milkshake
- Custard Milkshake
- Peanut Butter Shake
- Nutella Milkshake
If you want to try more strawberry recipes, here are some of my favorites
- Strawberry Tea
- Strawberry Sauce
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Strawberry Cake
- Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie
- Strawberry Cobbler
- Strawberry Coulis
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
Strawberries – Use fresh or frozen.
Choose bright red and ripe strawberries that are fresh and sweet. Make sure they are red or pink in the middle and not white. Bright red ones have the best flavor and are sweet.
Banana – Use ripe bananas to make the milkshake. You can also use overripe bananas that no one eats at home to make this shake.
Strawberry Ice-cream – Ice cream makes the shake super creamy. Use strawberry or vanilla-flavored ice cream to make the strawberry shake.
Milk – Whole milk (full-fat milk) makes the milkshake creamy and rich. You can use skim milk or low-fat milk for a healthier version. Non-dairy milk (plant based milk) is also great.
Sugar – Sugar is optional. You can skip adding it if the strawberries are sweet. You can also replace it with honey or maple syrup. Sugar-free substitutes like monk fruit or stevia also work fine.
Add 3-4 scoops of protein powder or whey protein to make it a pre or post workout snack recipe.
How To Make Banana Strawberry Milkshake
Rinse 1 lb (500 g) of fresh strawberries and pat them dry using a paper towel. Chop off the green leafy top and dice the strawberries into small pieces. Freeze the strawberries for 3-4 hours.
If you are using already frozen strawberries, then skip this process.
Peel 2 large bananas, cut them into slices, and freeze for 3-4 hours.
Freezing the fruits makes the shake very creamy. If you have forgotten to freeze them, add a few ice cubes while blending.
Freeze the serving glasses for an hour (optional). It will keep your shake cool for a longer time.
Making The Strawberry Banana Shake
- 1 lb (500 g) diced and frozen strawberries
- 2 large peeled, sliced, and frozen bananas
- 2 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 2 cups(7 oz or 200 g) of strawberry ice cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
to the large jar of a high-powered blender or food processor, blend until smooth.
Note – If the frozen fruits and ice cream are too hard, leave them on the kitchen counter for 10 minutes before blending.
If the shake is thick for your liking, add some more milk to thin it down.
Check for sugar and add if required.
Pour the milkshake into chilled glasses and serve immediately.
Top the shake with strawberry halves, chocolate shavings, strawberry syrup, chocolate sauce, or whipped cream.
Add 2 oz cream cheese to make a strawberry banana cheesecake shake.
Add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the mix for a chocolatey twist.
You can add a small amount of shredded coconut and a few pieces of fresh pineapple to the mix for a tropical flavor.
Creamy peanut butter can be added for a nutty flavor.
Add a few spoonfuls of rolled oats to the mix for a more filling, breakfast-style shake. Skip adding ice cream to this version.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, unfortunately, this recipe is not healthy. It has ice cream added to it, which makes the milkshake delicious but not healthy.
Want to give a healthier spin to this milkshake? Here are my 3 tips
1. Skip adding the ice cream.
2. Replace whole milk with skim milk.
3. Use honey or maple syrup in place of granulated sugar.
You can make this milkshake vegan by
1. Replacing regular milk with plant-based milk like almond, coconut, cashew nut, or soy milk.
2. Use vegan ice cream in place of regular ice cream.
You can make this delicious milkshake without ice cream by replacing ice cream with a few ice cubes and freezing the fruits for at least 3-4 hours.
Strawberry-Banana Milkshake tastes the best when it is made fresh. But if you have leftovers, you can store them in the fridge in an airtight container for 1 day. Shake well before serving.
You Might Also Like
Creamy Strawberry Banana Milkshake Recipe
- 1 pound strawberries (500 g, rinsed, hulled, chopped, and frozen)
- 2 large ripe bananas (peeled, sliced and frozen)
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 2 cups strawberry ice cream (7 0z or 200 g, or vanilla ice cream)
- 2 cups whole milk (full-fat milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Freeze the serving glasses for an hour (optional). It will keep your shake cool for a longer time.
- Add the frozen strawberries, frozen bananas, sugar, strawberry ice cream, whole milk, and vanilla extract to the large jar of a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Note – If the frozen fruits and ice cream are too hard, just leave them on the kitchen counter for 10 minutes before blending.
- If the shake is thick for your liking, add some more milk to thin it down.
- Check for sugar and add if required.
- Pour the milkshake into chilled glasses and serve immediately. You can top the shake with strawberry halves, chocolate shavings, strawberry syrup, chocolate sauce, or whipped cream.