Make this creamy Banana Strawberry Milkshake using fresh or frozen strawberries for a delicious breakfast treat. You can make it with or without ice cream using this best and easy recipe. Here is how to make it (gluten-free).
If you want to try some more strawberry recipes, then here are some of my favorites – Strawberry Tea, Strawberry Sauce, Strawberry Brownies, Strawberry Lemonade, Strawberry Cake, Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie, and Strawberry Cobbler.
About This Recipe
Milkshakes are my favorite beverage to make for breakfast or evening snacks and this creamy Banana Strawberry Milkshake is a current favorite.
Made using 6 simple ingredients, this strawberry and banana milkshake comes together super quickly if the fruits are already prepared and frozen.
Serve it for a yummy breakfast, after-school snack, or mid-day snack, this refreshing strawberry milkshake is going to be your favorite all summer.
When strawberries are not in season, you can make this strawberry banana milkshake recipe using frozen berries. Do check my post on how to freeze strawberries, freeze them while they are in season, and then use them all year round.
This delicious homemade milkshake can be made with or without ice cream. It is obviously more indulgent when ice cream is added to the recipe but if you are looking for a healthy option, then skip adding the ice cream.
Strawberries – Use fresh or frozen.
Choose bright red and ripe strawberries that are fresh and sweet. Make sure they are red or pink in the middle and not white. Bright red ones have the best flavor and are sweet.
Banana – Use ripe bananas to make the milkshake. You can also use over ripe bananas that no one is eating at home to make this shake.
Strawberry Ice-cream – Ice-cream makes the shake super creamy. Use strawberry or vanilla-flavored ice cream to make the strawberry shake.
Milk – Whole milk makes the milkshake creamy and rich. You can use skim milk for a healthier version. Non-dairy milk is also great.
Sugar – Sugar is optional. You can skip adding it if the strawberries are sweet. You can also replace it with honey or maple syrup. Sugar-free substitutes like monk fruit or stevia also work fine.
Add 3-4 scoops of protein powder to the recipe if making it for a pre or post-workout snack.
How To Make Banana Strawberry Milkshake
Rinse 1 lb (500 g) of fresh strawberries and pat them dry using a paper towel. Chop off the green leafy top and dice the strawberries into small pieces. Freeze the strawberries for 3-4 hours.
If you are using already frozen strawberries, then skip this process.
Peel 2 large bananas, cut them into slices, and freeze for 3-4 hours.
Freezing the fruits makes the shake very creamy. If you have forgotten to freeze them, then add a few ice cubes while blending.
Freeze the serving glasses for an hour. It will keep your shake cool for a longer time.
Making The Strawberry Banana Shake
Add the frozen strawberries, frozen bananas, 2 cups strawberry ice cream, 2 cups whole milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to the large jar of a high powered blender or a food processor and blend until smooth.
Note – If the frozen fruits and ice cream are too hard, just leave them on the kitchen counter for 10 minutes before blending.
Pour the milkshake into chilled glasses and serve immediately. You can top the shake with strawberry halves, chocolate shavings, strawberry syrup, chocolate sauce, or whipped cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, unfortunately, this recipe is not healthy. It has ice cream added to it that definitely makes the milkshake delicious but not healthy.
Want to give a healthier spin to this milkshake? Here are my 3 tips
1. Skip adding the ice cream.
2. Replace whole milk with skim milk.
3. Use honey or maple syrup in place of granulated sugar.
You can make this milkshake vegan by
1. Replacing regular milk with any plant-based milk like almond milk, coconut milk, cashew nut milk, or soy milk.
2. Use vegan ice cream in place of regular ice cream.
You can make this delicious milkshake without ice cream by replacing ice cream with a few ice cubes and making sure to freeze the fruits for at least 3-4 hours.
Strawberry-Banana Milkshake tastes the best when it is made fresh. But if you have leftovers, you can store them in the fridge in an airtight container for about 1 day. Shake well before serving.
You Might Also Like
Creamy Banana Strawberry Milkshake Recipe
- 1 pound strawberries (500 g, rinsed, hulled, chopped, and frozen)
- 2 large ripe bananas (peeled, sliced and frozen)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (white or light brown, optional)
- 2 cups strawberry ice cream (or vanilla ice cream)
- 2 cups whole milk (full-fat milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Freeze the serving glasses for an hour. It will keep your shake cool for a longer time.
- Add the frozen strawberries, frozen bananas, strawberry ice cream, whole milk, and vanilla extract to the large jar of a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Note – If the frozen fruits and ice cream are too hard, just leave them on the kitchen counter for 10 minutes before blending.
- Pour the milkshake into chilled glasses and serve immediately. You can top the shake with strawberry halves, chocolate shavings, strawberry syrup, chocolate sauce, or whipped cream.