Makhana Raita is a refreshing Indian side dish that can be served with any Indian meal. It is also vrat (Hindu fasting days) friendly. Here is how to make it.
About This Recipe
Makhana Raita (Lotus Seeds Raita, Foxnut Raita, Makhane Ka Raita) is a quick and easy raita recipe popularly made during vrat or fasting days.
Roasted and crushed lotus seeds are added to seasoned yogurt to make this raita. You can also temper it for an added flavor.
Serve it as a side dish with your fasting or everyday meals to make them more filling and wholesome.
Yogurt – Use plain yogurt or Greek yogurt to make this raita.
You can also use homemade yogurt (dahi) but make sure it’s not sour.
Milk – Milk is used to thin down the raita. You can use water in place of milk if you wish to.
Ghee – Use ghee to roast the makhana. You can replace ghee with coconut oil but don’t use any other oil, it won’t taste good.
Makhana – Makhana are also called fox nuts or lotus seeds. They are easily available in Indian grocery stores or online. They are a superfood and loaded with many health benefits. This raita is a great way to include them in your doet.
Others – You will also need sugar, black salt, roasted cumin powder, salt, green chillies, and cilantro (fresh coriander leaves).
Adjust the green chilies as per your taste.
Serve Makhana Ka Raita along with vrat wale sookhe aloo and kuttu ki puri for a delicious vrat (fasting) meal.
You can also enjoy it on the side with your everyday Indian-style meals, especially in summers.
It can also be enjoyed with stuffed parathas, pulao, tahri, khichdi or biryani recipes.
This raita tastes great when made fresh with crunchy makhana or when the makhanas become soft from storing them for some time.
If you like crunchy makhane ka raita, then mix the yogurt with flavoring and roast and crush the makhana and store them separately for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, mix the two and serve immediately.
If you are fine with soft makhana, then you can make the raita completely and store it in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You Might Also Like
Makhana Raita Recipe
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 cup makhana (fox nuts)
- 1-½ cups plain yogurt (dahi) (chilled)
- ¼ cup milk (chilled)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black salt
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon regular white salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (coriander leaves) (chopped)
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium heat.
- Once the ghee is hot, add makhana to the pan and roast until they are crisp, stirring continuously (4-5 minutes).
- If not roasted properly, they will be chewy and stick to your teeth. So make sure to roast them well.
- Transfer the roasted makhana to a plate and let them cool.
- Transfer the cooled makhana to a zip lock bag and lock the seal.
- Now gently crush them using a rolling pin to make a coarse powder.
- Whisk yogurt in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Add milk, sugar, black salt, roasted cumin power, salt, green chilies, and cilantro and mix everything well.
- Add the crushed makhana and mix well.
- Serve immediately.